Wearing glasses has always been associated with either being really smart and nerdy, or being old. Either way, it’s not a pretty picture. However, if you need to wear glasses for practicality’s sake, then there are things you can do so you don’t look like a nerd that the frat boys want to beat up or the sorority girls won’t want to have anything to do with.
Here’s how to look less nerdy in glasses.
- Watch your frames. The most important thing when getting your glasses made other than making sure the grade is right is to choose a flattering frame. Don’t let price be your guide. Since you will wear your eyepiece constantly, invest the money in good wire or plastic frames that are sturdy and complement the shape of your face. Avoid frames that take up half your face or you’ll look like one of the rodents from Alvin and the Chipmunks.
- Choose the right lenses. Avoid plastic lenses that make you look like a goldfish. When you have your glasses made, invest in getting the thinnest lenses possible given the grade of your eyes. Even if you’re astigmatic, you can still get your lenses made so that it doesn’t hide or overemphasize your eyes. If your glasses are so thick it looks like you got a pair of drinking glasses and put it over your eyes, then it needs to go. That looks simply screams “Nerd!” and “Cheap!”
- Have sexy hair. Girls, don’t just pull your hair back in a ponytail or style it in a severe bun. You’ll look like the strict librarian. Soft wavy hair is sexy so let it loose. Take a few minutes to tousle your hair and let it frame your face. You may even want to let a few strands cover part of your eye. Guys, don’t just comb your hair off to the side like Clark Kent. Muss it up a bit. Have a contemporary hairstyle!
- Wear eye makeup. For the ladies, draw attention to your eyes in a sexy way by using mascara and some eyeliner. Emphasize your eyes with the proper application of some subtle eye makeup. Also, make sure you have your eyebrows shaped into a flattering winged arch.
- Have self-confidence. If you walk around with your back hunched over and you never make eye contact with anyone, you will look like a nerd. Instead, walk around with your head held high, make eye contact with people and smile. If you seem friendly rather than overly bookish, you will seem more approachable and people won’t be so intimidated by how smart you appear.
If you do these things, you’ll seem less nerdy and appear more confident. Keep in mind that eyeglasses don’t just have to be utilitarian but it can be part of your fashion statement if worn properly. Glasses can be smart and sexy if you know how to wear it. If all else fails, you can always switch to contacts or get Lasik or refractive surgery on your eyes.