Who says you have to spend a lot of money at the salon or drug store for a hot oil treatment? With one key ingredient you can be on your way to having healthy, beautiful, soft, and conditioned hair at a fraction of the price. These treatments are ideal for dry, damaged hair as they provide deep conditioning treatment. It can also be used on normal hair to provide added strength and a boost of shine. Making your own can be a healthy, chemical free option, and you will always know exactly what is going on your hair. This is a great option for those who have sensitive skin or scalps.
Olive oil can be a little pricey per bottle, to cook with. When purchasing it for a hot oil conditioning treatment the price is very economical when comparing it to hot oil treatments in the salon or drug store.
- Take a half cup of olive oil and place it in a microwavable bowl. Heat the oil for 30 seconds.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and carry it into the bathroom. Be careful when taking the bowl out of the microwave, as it will be hot. Do not overheat the oil, if you do you will have to let it sit and cool.
- Begin with the ends of the hair and work up, making sure to saturate each one completely. If you have longer hair it is helpful to place your hair on the top of your head, in a pile.
- If you have a shower cap, place that on your head. If a shower cap is not available you can use plastic wrap to wrap your hair in.
- Leave the oil on your hair for 30 minutes. This will allow for deep conditioning penetration to the hair and scalp.
- Once your thirty minutes are up, rinse your hair with cold water until you feel the thickness of the oil has been removed. Then, wash your hair as you normally do. You may need to wash it two times to remove all the excess oil. For extra conditioning, use your own conditioner as you normally would. Use a wide tooth comb; this will help combat tangles and hair breakage.
You can repeat this treatment once a week, once a month, or whenever you feel your hair needs an extra boost of conditioner and shine.
An alternative option for a hot oil mix is to use 2/3 cup sunflower oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of pure honey (usually found at health food stores), 2 teaspoons of Vitamin E oil, 10 drops of lavender oil, 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil, and 10 drops of geranium essential oil in a large Ziploc style plastic bag. Fill a bowl with hot water, and then place the bag in it to heat up the mixture. Apply to hair when mixture becomes warm, wrap and let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse off mixture, shampoo and condition hair as normal.