A leather whip is something that you can use for costume parties or for decorative purposes in your home. Buying a leather whip may be too expensive, especially if it made from authentic leather. Also, it is hard to find a design that you are looking for. A solution to this is to make your own leather whip. Making your own is not as hard as you think.
All you need to do is to purchase all the materials that you need for the project and follow these simple instructions:
- Materials for the leather whip. Go to any local craft store and purchase several yards of leather. You will have the chance to pick from different types of leather. The choice is up to you. Leather also comes in different colors but the basic color used for leather whips are black. Other items that you will need include scissors or a sharp cutter and a clamp or clip that will be able to hold the leather.
- Preparing the leather. The first thing that you have to do is to cut the leather into how long you want your leather whip to be. The ideal length is about one to two yards long. When you already have this length, the next thing to do is to cut the leather into thinner strips. Make sure that you use a sharp cutter or scissors so that you can cut the leather nice and equal.
- Braiding the leather. When you have already cut the length of the leather to thinner strips, the next thing to do is to braid these thinner strips together. To make it easier for you to braid, use the clamp to hold one end of the leather together. When you start braiding, make sure that you have a tight grip on the leather. Pull out the strands each time you braid so that your whip can be nice and tight. Braid the leather strips until the end.
- Securing the leather whip. From your scrap leather, cut out two short pieces that you can wrap around the two ends of your leather whip. Knot the first one at the beginning of the braid near the clamp, and tie the other one at the end to secure the braids in place. Make sure to tighten the knot.
- Attaching the handle. Now, your leather whip is ready. All you have to do is to attach it to a handle so that you can use it, or display it as a decorative item in your house. You can use a short wood for the handle or you can bind the remaining leather that you have and make a short handle out of it.
These are the easy steps on how you can make your own leather whip. By doing this, you will not only be able to save a lot of money. You will also have the chance to show your creativity by making things out of scratch. The next time you have a costume party to attend, you can try to make your own costume that will go well with the leather whip!