Mermaids are mythical creatures believed to have a female upper human body and the tail of a fish. These mythical creatures are most popular in folklore, literature and other popular culture.
People fascinated with mermaids usually get the chance to become one during plays or costume parties. If you want to become a mermaid for a while, follow these instructions.
Here are the steps on how to make a mermaid costume:
- Prepare the top clothing for the mermaid costume. There is a lot of top clothing that you may choose for the mermaid costume. A bathing suit or a colorful undergarment such as a bra is the common choice for the costume.
- Paint seashells for the top clothing of the mermaid costume. Use sea colors when painting the seashells. Make sure that the seashells are big enough to cover the cups of the top clothing. Let the seashells dry before you proceed with the next step.
- Decorate the top clothing of the mermaid costume. After painting the seashells, get your glue gun and attach the seashells to the top clothing of the costume. Let the glue dry and make sure everything is glued securely in place.
- Create the tail for the mermaid costume. Get a lengthy shimmering fabric in the shade of blue, green, blue-green. Tightly wrap the fabric around the legs starting above the knees. Tightly cover the lower thighs. Slowly move upwards until you cover the hips and the waist. At the waistline, twist the end of the fabric before you tuck it into the back.
- Create the hem of the tail of the mermaid costume. For the hem, you are going to use the same shimmering fabric you used for the tail. Gather the fabric at the top using the basting stitch. Sew the gathered fabric to the bottom of the tail just right above the knees. The length of the hem should reach instep of the feet.
- Create a tail fin for the mermaid costume. To finish the costume, you need to cut the remaining shimmering fabric in the shape of a tailfin. Duplicate the tailfin pattern and sew together. Leave an opening for the feet to fit in. After inserting the feet, carefully sew the tailfin to the bottom of the tail.
- Create the hair for the mermaid costume. Mermaids usually have lengthy hairs. If you have a short hair, grab a headband and cover it with seashells. Then cut a rectangular length from the shimmering fabric. Glue it to the headband. After drying, cut the glued shimmering fabric into thin strips all the way up to make it look like shimmering hair.
- Add make-up and accessories. For better effect, use eye shadow and glitter in the shade of sea colors. Put the glitters on the face, shoulders and arms. Use necklaces, earrings and bracelets with seashells.
It is fun to be part of lays and costume parties. Making the costumes yourself makes it more exciting. After you are done wearing the mermaid costume, keep it somewhere safe for future use or simply as a souvenir of your artwork.