Mickey Mouse is one of the world's most well-loved cartoon characters. As a matter of fact, he is an icon for the Walt Disney Company.
The Walt Disney Company built Disneyland, a place both kids and adults enjoy. One of the souvenirs, and probably the most famous of all, is the Mickey Mouse hat. It is quite expensive. Not everyone may be able to afford to buy the Mickey Mouse hat. So why not just make your own?
These are things you need for your Mickey Mouse hat:
- Black thread
- Thick black fabric
- Sewing machine
Here are the steps on how to make a Mickey Mouse hat:
Make the hat for the Mickey Mouse hat:
- Cut the hat from the fabric. Cut out two semi-circles on the thick black fabric. The base of the semi-circles should be 8 inches wide. Also, the height from the base of the semi-circle should also be 8 inches.
- Sew the hat. When you’re done cutting the semi-circles with the right measurements, you need to cut small slits all around the arc of the semi-circles. The slits should not be more than ¼ of an inch. Put the two semi-circles together with the back side of each semi-circle facing up. Sew the two semi-circles together by sewing all around the arc. Leave the flat parts open. After this, you may now sew the edges of the flat parts with your sewing machine. After sewing the edges, you may now turn the hat right-side out.
Make the ears for the Mickey Mouse hat:
- Cut the ears from the fabric. You need to cut four circles from the thick black fabric. Make sure each circle has a diameter of five inches.
- Sew the ears for the Mickey Mouse hat. Get two black circles and put them together with the wrong sides facing up. Sew the two black circles together. Leave about an opening of about two inches so you can turn the ear right side up. Close the opening by hand sewing. Do the same procedure for the other two circles to complete the Mickey Mouse ears.
Assemble the Mickey Mouse hat:
- Iron the hat and the ears. Before you sew the hat and the Mickey Mouse ears together it is best that you iron them. This is to remove the wrinkles. Ironing may also flatten the stitched parts of the hat and the ears.
- Sew the ears on the hat. The last step is to sew the Mickey Mouse ears on the base of the hat. Check the distance of the ears to make sure it looks like Mickey Mouse’s head.
Instead of buying a Mickey Mouse hat that may cost you about 15 to 20 dollars, just make your own. You may also make one for each member of your family especially if you have kids who love Mickey Mouse. For your girls, make the Minnie Mouse hats adding a red polka dot ribbon in between the ears. Teach the kids how to make these hats, too. This is a perfect activity for family bonding.