Most deodorants you can buy from the pharmacy or grocery store are mainly chemically composed. Their fragrance is also mostly chemical rather than natural. Some of these will cause allergic reactions and other symptoms, especially for those with sensitive skin. If you’re one of these people, then you are probably better off making your own deodorant at home, which should include natural fragrance rather than harmful chemicals.
Materials. There are plenty of natural or so-called organic materials available in the market to choose from. The most used and essential component of deodorant is organic cornstarch. Another ingredient would be the essential oils that may will determine the fragrance, like lavender and rosemary. To add a natural consistency, you need to use deodorizing powder, which will act as the active ingredient. It helps bind the perfume to your clothing and skin, therefore making the fragrance last longer.
The importance of good oil. There are plenty of oils that you can use, but some oils have their own purpose, and would be most appropriate for use in a deodorant. Here are a few examples:
- Eucalyptus is the most commonly used oil for the skin, and provides a warming effect.
- Rosemary acts as an antivirus, and fights against bacteria.
- Lavender is mild and comforting, ideal for freshening up the skin.
- Peppermint is famous for cooling nature, and for its pleasing scent.
Step one: gather your materials. You would need the following to make your natural deodorant.
- Baking soda
- Coconut oil (high melting point)
- Fragrant oil such as lavender, rosemary, lemon, sandalwood and the like
- Deodorizing powder
- Container for your deodorant
There are several essential oils available in the market, and it will depend on your preference, particularly which scent is the best for you. You can also blend these oils to create a new fragrance, depending on your tastes.
Step two: mix the materials. After gathering all your materials, it’s time to mix them all up.
- Create a mixture of about 80 mL of cornstarch with about 25 to 30 mL of baking soda.
- Add about 8 to 10 drops of essential oil to the mixture. You could use a single oil like lavender. You can also mix two types of oil, such as lavender with sandalwood, with a combination of four to five drops each.
- Add two to three tablespoons of coconut oil. You can also add other minerals. For instance, if you want to include Vitamin E, then add few drops. Always try to get coconut oil with the highest melting point possible.
- Mash the ingredients carefully and constantly until it appears as a silky mass. You can always adjust the quantities of coconut oil and other ingredients, depending on how strong you want the deodorant to smell.
- You could also add a tablespoon of deodorizing powder to your mixture. This is mostly used for making the fragrance attach to your clothes. It helps retain the fragrance for a longer time.
Fill up the container and make sure it closes airtight. Your natural deodorant is now ready to use. It’s both safe and inexpensive. You are also not limited to the fragrances that commercially-available deodorants have. You can invent your own scent.