If you’re having a costume party or a sport themed party, you can make a referee costume. Most people will wear the uniform of the players of their chosen sport. But if you want to be different and you want to feel like you have the authority over the others, then the referee costume is for you. Referees make the decision in many sports like basketball, baseball, boxing, fencing, football and volleyball. Referees have different uniforms than the players so that they can be distinguished from them. Referees are also called in different names such as judge, umpire, timekeeper and commissionaire.
Here are the steps on how to make your referee costume.
- What you need for the referee costume. Though the costumes of referees are different on every sport, you will basically need a whistle, shorts, shirt, socks, black shoes and flags or colored cards.
- Pick the sport for your costume. Since referees wear different costumes on every sport, decide on which sport you will be basing your referee costume from. Once you know the sport, you will have a clearer idea on what your costume will look like.
- Get your referee shirt. The most common referee shirt is a black and white stripe. If you’re a girl, you can funk it up a little bit by making it sexier. You can get a V-necked referee shirt to show some skin. You can also buy a plain colored polo shirt as some referees wear this like in soccer.
- Choose your referee pants. Referees wear pants or shorts. The color is usually white or black. You can also wear a black belt on your pants. If you’re a girl, you can play with your referee costume by wearing a short skirt instead of pants or shorts. There are also once-piece referee costumes available for girls. These are fitted with black and white stripes like the referee shirt. If you’re comfortable wearing fitted clothes, you can go for this.
- Buy your accessories. Your costume will not be complete without a whistle. The referee’s whistle is used to get the attention of the players as well as the coaches. You can buy one on stores selling sporting goods. For your colored cards, you can use construction papers which you can cut or colored index cards. For the flags, you can use clothes that you don’t use anymore and cut with scissors so you can make small flags. You can also use any yellow colored fabric.
- Find your socks and shoes. You need to wear long black or white socks especially if you’re wearing shorts. Black shoes will work best whatever referee costume you pick. You can use black rubber shoes or athletic shoes. If you’re a girl, you can wear below the knee socks and pair these with black high heels. You can also wear black high heeled boots.
Wear your referee costume with confidence so you’ll look authoritative
like a real referee. If you’re not familiar with the referee costume you
want to have, you can check on the Internet to search pictures on the
referee costume of your choice.