If fashion accessories set your wardrobe apart, consider saving some money by making your own ribbon headbands. You can follow the trends without breaking the bank. Options for decorative ribbon are endless, so you can find several to suit your needs from satins to lace and crochet designs in a variety of colors and textures. With the simple steps below, you can create a headband in less than ten minutes.
- 15” – 20” length of ribbon
- 4” piece of ¼” elastic
- Tape measure
- Measure your head. Use the tape measure to measure your head at the location where you will wear the band.
- Cut the ribbon. Cut the ribbon length 1”– 2” short of your head measurement. Cut the shorter length for a very snug fit or if you have fine hair and are concerned the headband will slip.
- Attach the elastic to one end of the ribbon. Hold the ribbon and elastic ends together and fold twice at ¼” so that the ribbon ends are hidden but the elastic and ribbon create a smooth line. Sew the end so that the seam is hidden and secure.
- Test fit the ribbon. Before connecting the other end of the ribbon, test fit the ribbon to your head. Mark the fit. The fit should be snug but not tight.
- Attach the other end. Hold the remaining ends of ribbon and elastic so that the ribbon is the correct length. Sew the seam so that it is hidden and secure.
- Wear the ribbon headband. Once the seams are both secure, the headband is ready to wear. Try it on and enjoy.
Using these simple steps create a wide variety of simple, decorative hair decorations. When using hair ribbons wider than ½”, you may want to use wider elastic, but no more than ½” elastic for ideal comfort wear.
These simple accessories are perfect for slumber parties and to share with friends. Assemble several ribbon or lace options with your friends for a quick bit of fun.