A round braid may look sophisticated and sleek but it isn’t easy to create. If you are looking to have a round braid with your own hair, you need to get some help. This is a two-person job. So get a friend and together you can make a round braid. Just follow these instructions.
2 elastic bands
- Comb the hair. Make sure to remove any knots or snarls. Then comb the hair into a ponytail high on the back of your head. Secure the tail with an elastic band.
- Divide the hair into four sections. This is where the friend comes in. You cannot keep four strands separated and maneuverable with just two hands.
- Hold the four sections in a line, then start with the far right. Weave that right section under the two middle strands then over the one section to the right. This is a basic under two, reverse direction then over one pattern.
- Make the second weave starting on the left side. Each turn you take you will reverse sides of the braid. So for the second turn, start with the far left. Weave under two strands to the right then reverse direction and weave over one strand to the left.
- Pull tight after each weave. Make sure that you are pulling tight so the braid will be secure.
- Repeat weave, reversing sides after each step. Repeat the weave all the way down to the ends of the hair. You will start to notice the round shape forming after five or six weaves and it should continue all the way down to the end of the hair.
- Once you reach the end, secure with an elastic band. Again, make sure the band is tight so you don’t lose all your hard work. This type of round braid works best with thick or coarse hair that can hold a style. If your hair is fine or thin then make sure you spray the hair with hairspray as soon as you finish the braid so it will hold.
Making a round braid takes patience and help from a friend. If you follow these steps you will be happy with the clean and sophisticated look you’ve created.