A sack dress is a simple type of clothing that resembles a piece of sack. It was part of the fashion on the mid 1950s up to the 1960s. Some women choose to wear these sack dresses as they are fashionable yet simple and easy to wear. Most fashion designers have their own rendition of the sack dress but they sell at high prices. If you want to own a sack dress, you can make one on your own. The steps are quite easy. Follow the instructions below to know how to make a sack dress.
These are the instructions that you can follow in order to make your own sack dress:
- Materials you need. The materials that you need for making the sack dress are fabric of your choice, measuring tape, fabric pencil, sewing machine and an iron. You will also need a shirt that fits you well as this will be used as your guide for making the sack dress.
- Pattern. The shirt that you use as a pattern should be loose on your body. Wear the shirt and see how much length you need at the bottom so that you can turn the style into a dress. Remember the length that you need to add and write it on a piece of paper.
- Making the pattern. Work on a flat surface when you make your pattern. Fold the fabric that you have in two. Lay down the shirt on top of the fabric and trace the shirt on the fabric with the fabric pencil. At the bottom part, add the length that you took note of in the first step. Once you have it traced all around, add about an inch to all the sides. The extra inch serves as the allowance you need for sewing.
- Sewing the pattern. You will end up with 2 pieces of fabric, one for the front and the other for the back. Sew the patterns together starting at the shoulders. Use the iron to flatten the pattern and see if you have to trim some of the sides to make the two patterns equal. When you sew, take note of the allowance and do not go over it. Sew all the seams together to make the sack dress.
- Design. You can add trimmings and other designs to the dress if you find it too simple. Some of the things you can add are beading details, lace, patches, ribbons and many more.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to learn how to
make a sack dress. This is an easy project and you can make plenty of
sack dresses in different colors and patterns. You might find it
difficult the first time especially if you find that you need to make
adjustments to find the right fit for your body. If you have an old sack
dress, you can use that also as a pattern so that you will not have to
make so many adjustments.