A satin wired-ribbon rose is an exquisite piece that can be used to adorn a gift, dress, a hairpiece, a bouquet of satin flowers or a floral centerpiece. With the use of a ribbon that has wire running through it, you can create a rose that is both delicate yet beautiful to look at.
If you have the right materials and a little patience, you can learn to make satin ribbon roses quickly. You’ll soon learn that what looks like it took hours to make actually only requires a few minutes of your time.
Here’s how to make a satin wired-ribbon rose.
- Choose your ribbon wisely. The trick to making this work is to choose the right size ribbon. Don’t use a ribbon that is less than 1 ½ inches wide. Make sure that both ends are wired. You will need the wire to make the ribbon a have a little more structure and so you can create the ruffles to make the petals of the flower. To make your rose interesting, find a ribbon with different hues of pink or red. This will make it look more authentic. Also, don’t cut the ribbon until after you have made the rose so you have flexibility with the lushness of the flower.
- Make the center. To make the rosebud center of the flower, get the edge of the ribbon. Fold down about half an inch of the end. Repeat the process by folding it again at an angle to create an angled rosebud. This will be the center of your rose. You can secure the center by tying it together with some floral tape. Stick a floral wire in the center of the bud to create the stem and tightly wrap the bud with the floral tape.
- Start to make the ruffles. It’s very easy to make the petals of the ribbon. Hold the center securely making sure that the rosebud center doesn’t unravel. Next, start twisting the ribbon around the center but try to hold the bottom together so that the top part will create petals that seem to come from one center. Do as many turns around the center that you need, then cut the ribbon.
- Secure the base. When you have the desired number of loops around the center to make your petals, secure the base with some floral wire. Another technique you can do is to use a needle and thread and sew the gathered bottom together to create the ruffles for the petals. Hide any wire and thread by covering them with some floral tape.
- Puff up the petals. When your base is secure, you can gently tug on the ribbon to create the petals. Don’t pull it out too hard or your ribbon may unravel.
As you can see, it’s very easy to make a rose out of a satin ribbon. Experiment and use different colored ribbons or other textures. This will also work with a velvet wired ribbon. Go ahead and adorn your child’s dress with this lovely accent piece, or make a hair tie clip with it. Showcase your artistic talents to your friends and use it to decorate your birthday and holiday gifts. You can also display it in your home by using the ribbon rose as an accent of your curtain tiebacks.