The vintage chic theme consists of vintage items and other furnishings that have a distressed look. Although the items for a vintage chic theme are usually old, they still have that charm that makes the look appealing. This theme is common among girls’ bedrooms. If you have a vintage chic bedroom, you can make your own furniture or create some items that will fit the vintage chic theme perfectly. One of the things that you can make is a vintage chic jewelry holder that you can put on your bedside table or your dresser. Follow the steps below to learn how to make a vintage chic jewelry holder.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to make a vintage chic jewelry holder:
- Materials. The materials that you will need for this do-it-yourself project are sandpaper, paint in pastel colors, paintbrush, painting dish and an old rake with a wooden handle. Choose paint colors that will fit perfectly with the theme of your room.
- Smooth out the surface of the rake. Use the sandpaper to smooth down the surface of the rake’s handle. You have to do this so that it will be easier for you to paint the rake later on.
- Paint the rake. The next step is to paint the rake. Pour a small amount of paint onto the painting dish. You might need to dilute it with a bit of water. Follow the instructions on the can or bottle of paint to know what you need to do. Use the paintbrush to paint the entire handle of the wooden rake. Allow the paint to dry. This usually takes up to a few hours. Leave the rake overnight just to make sure. When the paint is dry, proceed with the next steps.
- Distress the rake. Use the sandpaper to slightly distress the handle of the wooden rake. You have to achieve a vintage look for the rake so that it fits with the vintage chic theme. Check constantly to see if you have achieved the aged look. You do not want to overdo it as it might look as if you did the distressing on purpose. The objective is to make the wooden rake look as if it has been used for years.
- Use as jewelry holder. Now that you achieved the distressed look, you can already use your jewelry holder. You can mount the rake on a wall or you can cut the handle of the rake so that you can put it on a table. Use the teeth of the rake to hang your necklaces, bracelets and other jewelry.
These are the steps that you have to follow in making a vintage chic
jewelry holder. You do not have to use a rake. You can use other old
items in your house. Use your imagination so that you can end up with
unique items that you can use for your vintage chic theme.