An A-line skirt is a simple and classic style of skirt. This cut is great for women as it is flattering for all figure types. Looking for the perfect A-line skirt in department stores and boutiques may be hard. What you can do is to make your own A-line skirt. Making your own skirt is not that hard. All you need are basic sewing skills and a few sewing materials.
Here are the steps on how you can make your own A-line skirt from scratch:
- Purchase materials. The first thing you need to do is to purchase some fabric that you want to use for your A-line skirt. You can use printed fabric or plain fabric. If you plan on making several A-line skirts, you can purchase all the fabric that you need. After choosing the fabric that you want, the next thing you need to do is to buy some zippers that you will use for each skirt. Also purchase some hook and eye snaps that you will use to secure your A-line skirt in place.
- Get your measurements. Get a measuring tape and get your measurements for your waist and hips. Also, get the measurement of how long you want your A-line skirt to be.
- Cutting the fabric. After you get your measurement, the next thing you need to do is to cut the fabric. Get a flat surface, such as a table, where you can work on. Spread the fabric on the table. Cut two pieces of the fabric according to your measurements. These two pieces will serve as the front and back of your skirt. Remember to add a few inches to the pieces that you will cut so that you can sew them in properly.
- Making the skirt. Prepare several pins that you can use to estimate where you will sew the skirt. Put the pins on the sides and see if the skirt fits you by putting it up on your body. Adjust the pins so that the skirt fits you properly. Afterwards, you can already sew the sides of the skirt together. After this, work on the seams. Lastly, add the zipper on the skirt. Make sure that you sew the zipper properly. Sew the hook and eye on top of the zipper.
- Finishing the skirt. After sewing the hole skirt, the last thing that you have to do is to the hem. First fold the hem up about an inch and sew. For a cleaner look, fold it once more and sew.
These are the steps on how you can make your own A-line skirt. You can also sew other items of clothing. This will definitely save you some money. Buy some fabric that you like and look for dress or skirt patterns online. Study the patterns so that you can make your own clothes. You can master the art of sewing if you practice regularly. After some time, you will find that sewing is actually easy!