Many kinds of medication are made available today for the treatment of foot fungus. But while most of them are proven effective, natural treatments are still the most preferred options, one of which is a foot soak treatment. A foot soak is especially effective because of its natural ingredients that have potent healing qualities. Here are some of the tried and proven foot soak treatments.
- Tea tree oil. Best for the treatment of toenail fungus and athlete’s foot, tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and antifungal remedy. To prepare tea tree oil foot soak, fill a small tub with lukewarm water and 20 to 25 drops of tea tree oil. You can also put a few drops of lavender oil for added scent. Make sure to mix the ingredients thoroughly. Soak your feet for at least 20 minutes. Then, completely dry your feet and put disinfectant powder to the affected area. Do this everyday until toenail fungus or athlete’s foot disappears.
- Apple cider vinegar. Because of its natural healing benefits, apple cider vinegar is an effective antifungal treatment. Use it as foot soak by mixing one part apple cider vinegar and one part warm water. Soak your feet for 30 minutes. After completely drying your feet, apply cream or oil to the skin. This prevents the formation of scaly skin that is usually a host to fungus. For best results, use apple cider vinegar soak daily.
- Vinegar. Ordinary kitchen vinegar is also proven to have antibacterial properties and thus makes a good foot soak treatment. To make vinegar soak, fill your tub with lukewarm water and two cups of vinegar. To prevent skin irritation due to the acid content of vinegar, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil. Completely dry your skin after soaking for at least 15 minutes. Vinegar soak is recommended for daily use.
- Sea salt. Sea salt is effective particularly in healing toenail fungus. Make sea salt soak by pouring four teaspoons of sea salt into a small tub of lukewarm water. Soak your feet for 15 minutes. Although sea salt alone can cure fungus, you can also add four teaspoons of baking soda and a few drops of tea tree oil to make the soak more effective. Daily use of sea salt soak is advisable until toenail fungus is cured. Use this also for the treatment of athlete’s foot.
- Essential oils. They are known for their aromatherapy benefits, but essential oils, especially oregano, olive, and lavender oils, are also good at fighting bacteria and fungi while leaving the skin smooth and supple. Prepare your soak by mixing two drops of oregano oil, two drops of lavender oil, and two teaspoons of olive oil with a tub of warm water. Soak your feet for 20 minutes. Do this daily.
With these foot soak treatments, not only will your foot fungus disappear, your feet will also be treated to exotic indulgences, which will otherwise cost you some amount in expensive spas. Making your own soak treatments, therefore, can mean for you tens of dollars worth of savings.