The skin of a baby is very soft and fragile. As much as possible, you do not want to use commercial baby products, because you do not know what they are made of. Also, there might be ingredients or chemicals that your baby is allergic to. If you want to make sure that the products your baby uses are good for them, you can make your own homemade version of the product. You can make your own baby powder to make sure that you use natural ingredients that won’t irritate your baby’s skin.
Here are the steps on how you can make your own baby powder at home:
- Materials. To make your own baby powder, you will need the herbal essential oil of your choice, cornstarch and a container where you will put the powder.
- Preparation. You must make sure that the container that you are going to use is clean. Wash the container with soap and water, and let it dry. You can also use a clean cloth to dry the container. The next thing you will have to do is to prepare the cornstarch. In some cases, cornstarch does not appear as fine as you want it to be. What you can do is get your coffee grinder and use it to make the cornstarch finer.
- Oil. For the essential oil, choose one that says ‘100% pure’ on the label. You can choose from different types of oils. Essential oils are the extracts from natural resources. One of the best oils to use for your baby powder is Rosewood. This does not only have a good scent for your baby, but using it also has health benefits. Some of the other oils you can use are Jasmine oil, Chamomile oil, Lemon oil, Patchouli oil or Peppermint oil.
- Creating the powder. Get your container and place cornstarch inside it. Do not fill the container up to the brim. Add about 5 drops of Rosewood oil to the cornstarch inside the container. Close the container and shake it so that the cornstarch will mix with the oil. Open it and test to see if the oil is enough. If not, you can add a few more drops until the mixture is just right.
- Using the baby powder. It is best if you let the powder sit for a day before using it. Store it in a dry place where the powder will not be moist. Remember to shake the container each time that you use it so that the powder will not be in clumps.
These are the steps on how to make your own homemade baby powder. You can experiment with other essential oils so that you can make different scents for the powder. By doing this, you can be sure that your baby does not get harmful chemicals on the skin. You will also be able to save lots of money by making your own baby powder instead of buying one from the supermarket.