Going green has never been such a hit as now. Being environmentally friendly, however, does not mean that you have to be out of style. One of the best ways to stand out in fashion and still remain environmentally conscious is to recycle and create your own clothes and accessories. One of the easy do it yourself projects you can do for this is to make bottle cap belts. Here are the steps.
- Collect and clean. Collect a number of bottle caps for your project. There are many to choose from, and each can be used to create a particular design. Think of the bottle caps as beads that you can use for your own bracelets or anklets. The different colors and different sizes will help you to create various designs. Among the popular bottle caps that are available are the plastic caps from plastic soda bottles. Beer bottles and old soda bottles made from thick glass also have crowns that you can use. Clean these bottle caps with dish washing soap and then dry.
- Drill a hole. Once the bottle caps have dried out, the next steps is for you to drill a hole into the bottle caps. You need at least two holes that will allow wire or string to pass through. One hole will make the bottle cap belt very wobbly. However, if this is part of your design, then go ahead and punch in only one hole. You can use a utility knife or drill bit to do this. You can also add extra holes if you want to use multiple strings or wires. Colored wires will be very effective for bottle cap belts that have many holes.
- Design. Before you insert the wires or the string into the belt, lay out your design first. This will make it easier for you to determine the pattern. Otherwise, you will have to remove all of the beads from the string or wire if you decide to add a few more details to the belt. Of course, you can also use a random pattern when designing your bottle cap belts.
- Measure and connect. The next step is for you to measure the wire or string that you will use to connect the bottle caps. Use your waistline as the base for the string. Then add a few more inches which will allow you to add the buckle or the clasp. You can also add a few more inches if you want to tuck the end of the belt buckle into the pant belt hoops.
- Add the buckle. To finish off your bottle cap belt, add the buckle or the clasp. Buckles usually have two separate pieces that you need to connect on each end of the belt. This will allow the buckle to fasten onto your waist. You can simple tie the attachments in place, or you can use hot glue.
Now that you have a bottle cap belt, you can keep your pants up without letting the environment down. You can also use the same process for making necklaces, bracelets, and other accessories. Experiment with a variety of recyclable materials to create an entire wardrobe that is environmentally friendly.