Lip gloss is great to hydrate the lips especially when the weather or the temperature is cold. Lip gloss can come in different flavors and in different forms, while some lip glosses are plain. Sometimes lip glosses contain a subtle color that can give your lips some color. Ever wondered if you can actually make one of those lip glosses that they sell in the market? Yes you can. You can make your own lip gloss to save on expenses and customize it to suit your personal preference. Now you can flaunt those moisturized lips after you use it!
First, gather your materials and ingredients. What you will need:
- One teaspoon of Petroleum jelly
- One teaspoon of fruit juice or one teaspoon of vanilla extract
- One lip gloss container
- A small amount of your favorite color lipstick (this is optional)
For the lip gloss, follow these steps:
- Put the petroleum jelly in a microwavable bowl and put it in the microwave to melt for 20 seconds. Do not leave the microwave unattended. Always monitor the process.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave. Use kitchen mittens to remove the bowl from the microwave. The jelly in the bowl will be very hot you do not want to burn yourself.
- Add your fruit juice or vanilla extract while the liquid is still hot and has not yet settled. Mix them well to distribute the flavor well. If you put in the fruit juice flavor or vanilla flavor when the jelly cools, it will not mix thoroughly and would give your lip gloss an uneven taste.
- You can add some color in your lip gloss by mashing a small amount of your favorite lipstick. Drop the mash into the hot petroleum jelly and mix the ingredients well. This is an optional step. You should only add the lipstick if you want your lip gloss to contain some color.
- Before the liquid gets cold, pour the jelly into your lip gloss container. These containers can be bought from stores or you can use your old lip gloss container. Simply scrape off the old lip gloss and clean the container. Clean your old container before melting the petroleum jelly. The old container should be absolutely dry when you use it.
- After filling the container, put the lip gloss in the refrigerator to chill into a mould.
You can make variations with your lip gloss flavor. If you wish to make a flavorless lip gloss, do not put in vanilla or fruit extract. For the fruit extract, you can use almost all kinds of fruit. If you cannot extract juice from it, use a blender to do it for you. If you cannot decide between two flavors, you can combine it. You can use other flavors like mint to give your lip gloss some minty taste. You can experiment with a lot of flavor possibilities, just follow the basic steps and enjoy your homemade lip gloss after!