Hair bows can make even hardcore tomboys appear sweet. Lighten up anyone’s disposition by adding these hair accessories to hair wardrobe. Making your own bows is simple and easy if you follow these instructions.
Rubber bands for hair
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Glitter or decorative stones to decorate the bow
How to make hair bows:
- Decide what style of hair bow you want. There are several ways that hair bows can be made to complement your wardrobe and make adorable hair accessories for girls. They all start with the simple bow presented in the following steps. After creating the basic shape, you can embellish it or attach the bow to a headband, barrettes or other hair clips. Once you choose the style you will be able to create it with a few simple steps.
- Measure and cut ribbon. Start with the size and style of bow decided on in step one. If you are making small bows for barrettes start with three inches of ribbon. Use more for larger bows or headbands.
- Tape the center point of the ribbon to the table. If you are using more than one ribbon in concert then secure all of them with separate pieces of tape.
- Cross the two ends of the ribbon and pull the right side under the left to tie a single knot. Make sure you secure this knot tightly.
- Make two loops. Consider these the guide for the size of the bow so make them small for a petite sized bow.
- Cross the right loop over the left, then pull the left over and through the hole created by the loops. Adjust the size of the loops and style of the bow while pulling the loop tight.
- Pull tight while leaving the tails loose. Pull evenly so that your bow doesn’t end up lopsided or too loose.
- Secure the bow to headband or barrettes. Use the hot glue gun and glue. Apply a small dab of glue to the center secure knot made in step four then attach the glued area to the barrette or headband. Hold securely to allow the glue to dry.
- Decorate the bow. Have fun adding glitter, beads or colorful stones to the edges and end tails of the bow. Cut the tail ends into creative shapes like a V-shape or scalloped shape if it suits your style.
Hair accessories go in and out of fashion at a rapid rate, and that especially seems true once you've just finished making bows. If you learn how to make a hair bow now rest assured you will get another chance to apply the skills again. Just remember the steps for making hair bows.