A trip to the salon is all that you need when you want to dye your hair. Sometimes you can do the job by yourself, as there are many dye products in the market that you can use. But then hair dyes can be costly, and some people develop adverse reactions to the chemical component of commercial dyes. Well, the solution to this dilemma is to make your own hair dye from natural sources. You can actually do it with walnut shells.
Here are the steps on how to make hair dye from walnut shells:
- Prepare these materials: black walnut shells (dried sage), dried nettle teabags, dried rosemary, distilled water, baby shampoo, a pan, a strainer, plastic spatula, a deep mixing bowl and a pair of gloves.
- Measure eight cups of distilled water into a pan and boil. Soon after turning off the heat, pour an ounce of dried sage, two ounces of black walnut shells, an ounce of dried rosemary and another ounce of dried nettle. Next, open two bags of tea and add its contents to the mixture of herbs and water. Place a tight lid over the pan to seal in the heat while the ingredients in the mixture fuse together. Keep the pan tightly covered for about three to four hours.
- After three or four hours, take off the lid of the pan and let the mixture cool down some more. Get the strainer and place it over the mixing bowl. Pour the mixture onto the strainer to get rid of the remains of walnut shells and tea leaves. You now have your hair dye product.
- To store the hair dye, transfer the mixture into a bottle or any covered jar. Label the bottle or jar, making sure you indicate the date when you made the dye. Keep in the refrigerator for ready use. This product has a storage life of three weeks in the refrigerator. Beyond three weeks, it is expired and no longer good for use.
- You are now ready to use your walnut shell hair dye. First, shampoo your hair and wash off well. Dry off with towel and hair blower. Take note that dyes cling more easily to dry hair.
- When hair is already dry, wear the gloves for protection, as you don’t want your hands to get stained from the dye. Shake the bottle vigorously then pour one half cup of the dye into a bowl. Mix well with the plastic spatula until it turns foamy. Apply the dye on your hair with the spatula, making sure the strands are well covered and colored. Leave the dye on your hair for about two hours before rinsing.
- To maintain your hair color, you may use the hair dye everyday by washing your hair with a mixture of ¼ cup of walnut hair dye and ¼ cup of shampoo.
Walnut hair dye is good for all types of hair. If you had a recent hair treatment (perm or straightening treatment) however, your hair might not absorb the color well. What’s good with walnut hair dye is that you can use it every day without worrying about side effects that usually result from using chemical dye products.