The autumn season is beautiful for many because of the leaves that paint breathtaking landscapes. Leaves fall gracefully, forming beautiful palettes of color. It signifies a cheerful end and a welcoming rebirth or start of a new season. Many people have taken inspiration in this symbol of autumn – leaves. Leaves can be used as form and pattern to jewelry which can be worn beautifully allowing you to match it with your wardrobe. Below are simple steps that you can follow in capturing leaf patterns in making jewelry.
- Gather your materials. The first thing that you need to do is to gather the materials that you need in making leaf jewelry. The following are supplies which you need to prepare on your work desk: polymer clay, powder for embossing, pieces of leaves, and tray for baking. These materials can be easily purchased from a craft store.
- Gather pieces of leaves. Start by gathering pieces of leaves. It is best to collect leaves that vary when it comes to pattern, shape and size. As you gather them, check on the leaves and make sure that they are not dried out and brittle. In using the leaf as imprint for the jewelry, it is important that you collect those that are pliant.
- Work on the clay. Prepare and then flatten the polymer clay which you will be using in making the jewelry. Pick out colors with an earthy tone. This will realistically represent leaves as jewelry.
- Mold the clay. Once the clay has been flattened, the next thing to do is to get the leaves that you have gathered. Pick out one that you will be molding onto the clay. Press the selected piece on the clay so that the pattern of the leaf will be imprinted onto the clay. Get a knife to trace and cut out the edges of the leave on the clay. You should get a leaf shape with imprints as output to this step. You can also work on effects to make the leaf look more realistic such as bending it a bit or folding the edges a little. Place a hole at the top for pendants and earrings. For pins, this will not be required.
- Prepare the clay for baking. Once molding is done, embossing powder should be sprinkled on the clay. Powder for embossing are sold in varying metallic shades such as silver, gold, bronze or copper. This adds that extra pizazz and sparkle to the jewelry. Place the clay pieces on a baking tray.
- Bake the clay. Place the tray with the clay in the oven. Follow the baking instructions that come when purchasing the clay.
- Finish it off. Once done baking, the clay should be set aside to cool. A clear sealer should be sprayed onto it. From here, you may already put hoops and strings to finish off your jewelry.
Leaf jewelry is fun and easy to make. This kind of jewelry can be given away as gifts to your friends and family members. They can also be used as fancy ornaments to decorate your home.