Most deodorants nowadays contain certain chemicals that can harm the body rather than doing it good. Aluminum oxide is usually an ingredient of a chemically produced deodorant. It is a neurotoxin and is suspected to be linked with several diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, respiratory illnesses, DNA damage. It affects renal functionality. It is scary to think about it but if you do not wear one, you will definitely stick all day. Are there any alternatives? Yes, there are. Go natural. Natural deodorant can be made using essential oils like tea tree oil.
One way to make the deodorant is using it with baking soda. Here’s the recipe on how to mix it:
- You will need to use baking soda for the natural deodorant. Baking soda helps absorb wetness and sweat. To make your deodorant, use a small clean bowl to mix your ingredients. Take one teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with a little water. Blend the ingredients well until they become more like a soft paste. Be sure to mix them well with the baking soda. The consistency should be sticky and not too soft.
- Mix 3 or 4 drops of your tea tree oil into the mixture. The smell of the tea tree oil is strong so use it sparingly. Tea tree oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and it is best for resolving strong and unpleasant smell. But since the oil’s natural smell is strong, you would not want to smell like a walking aromatherapy. Use only a few drops of it.
- Use a cotton pad or balls and dab the paste onto your underarms. Work with one underarm first, spreading the paste to cover the entire area. Do the same with the other underarm. It will take a few minutes for the mixture to dry. Wait until it does before putting on clothes. Usually you can use this once a day or once every two days.
Another way to use the tea tree oil as your deodorant is by using just the essential oil and water. Follow these steps to make the mixture:
- Prepare a clean small sprayer. If you have an existing sprayer, be sure it is free from any other substance. If you have none, you can buy one of these in your local beauty stores. This sprayer will be your container for the tea tree oil natural deodorant.
- Mix in 2 drops of tea tree oil for every one ounce of water. Be sure you know the volume of your sprayer.
- Replace the sprayer cap and shake it vigorously to blend the two ingredients.
- Spray an ample amount to each of your underarms and allow it to dry before putting on clothes over them. You can use this tea tree oil deodorant several times a day or as needed.
It is assuring to know that there are natural ways to keep smelling clean and good. Application for the natural tea tree oil deodorant can last for a day or sometimes longer than 24 hours if your body does not produce too much toxins. The baking soda does not leave a white residue, if you are worried about that, so it is perfectly safe to wear and sweat it out even when wearing your favorite black shirt.