With all the preservatives and chemicals now in hair products it makes sense that people would want to avoid these products and make their own. It is possible to make your own shampoo at home with ingredients available at most natural food stores. All you have to do is follow these steps.
- 7 ounces distilled water
- Liquid castile soap
- Crushed herbs
- Glass bowl with cover
- Plastic 8-ounce bottle
- Glass pot
- Metal strainer
- Decide upon the scent. Choose one or two herbs that have complementary scents and work well with your hair type. You may have to experiment with different herbs to find what works best for you. Start with something simple like lavender, chamomile, peppermint or orange blossoms.
- Bring water to a boil. Use distilled water to avoid the chlorine and chemicals in your tap water.
- Fill the plastic bottle with castile soap. For an 8 ounce bottle use soap ounce of the liquid soap.
- Place herbs into the strainer the place over the glass bowl. When using fresh herbs be sure to crush them lightly to release the scent before putting them into the strainer. Fresh herbs will be stronger than dried herbs so start with just a few until you get an idea of how potent your mixture is.
- Pour boiling water over the herbs and into the glass bowl. You are creating herbal water and should use seven ounces for each one ounce of soap in the bottle. Place the cover over the glass bowl and strainer of herbs. Let the herbs steep for a half hour.
- Remove any of the herb pieces that may have fallen into the water. Use the strainer again to make sure the water is clear.
- Pour the herbal water into the plastic bottle. Shake the bottle lightly so that the water mixes with the liquid soap.
- You're all set to use your new shampoo. Head to the shower and make use of your new shampoo.
Making your own shampoo at home takes only a few minutes and lasts a long time. Using this recipe the shampoo should stay fresh for at least six months but you'll probably use it all long before the herbs start to go bad. Enjoy the scent of your new shiny, clean hair.