Getting a haircut can be a devastating experience if it’s the wrong look for you. If you need to get your hair to grow out faster, there are things you can do. Follow these tips and you will have longer hair in no time:
- Know your hair’s strengths and weaknesses. Everyone’s locks are different, so you need to assess yours before you can begin a course of treatment. Is your hair dry or oily? Do you have split ends or breakage? The best time to check is when hair is clean and dry. Take one day to wash it, and then let it air dry without using product. Then, at the end of the day, inspect it for texture and damage.
- End the torture of product and styling. Providing proper hair care is crucial. It is damaged every time you blow dry, curl, perm or color it. Using product that dries the hair only makes this worse. If you cannot imagine not using styling products, try to take a break at least two days a week. Your hair will thank you for the time away from stress.
- Stop washing every day. Washing daily or even more often can cause damage. Overwashing dries your hair and makes it more prone to breakage. Both dryness and weakness keep it from growing long and strong.
- Improve your diet. One of the first signs of improper diet is limp, dull hair. If yours grows slowly and lacks shine, your diet may be to blame. Eat a balanced diet that includes protein, carbohydrates and lots of green vegetables. You can even try taking vitamins. Give up the sugar and heavy, greasy fats.
- Heat it up. Your hair benefits from regular hot oil treatments and exposure to some sun. Provide heat for a limited amount of time every day to stimulate your scalp and inspire growth.
- Then cool it down. If your tendency is to boil yourself in the shower, you aren’t doing your hair any good. When your hair is wet, it is at its weakest and most likely to become damaged. At the end of the shower, rinse it in cool water to help shine and growth.
- Condition the right way. There is such a thing as too much conditioner. Choose one that is right for your type and don’t buy something just because it is on sale. Condition in the shower and let it sit for a minimum of 30 seconds. If you can, run a wide-tooth comb gently through the strands to distribute the conditioner. Be careful of snags and snarls because you can cause damage if you pull too hard.
- Get regular trims and shaping. One of the best ways to encourage growth is to get rid of split ends and damaged parts, so get regular trims. When your hair is growing out between styles, it may be tempting to just give up and cut it. Don’t. Just have your stylist shape the ends. Lightening up the weight will help encourage growth.
Remember: Be patient. Even healthy hair will not grow noticeably quickly. When you keep it healthy and maintained, it will grow faster.