Hair color and highlights have been a fashion trend for years now. Celebrities, models, and the average individual utilize it to look more sophisticated and attractive. Hair highlights are great for providing fullness to your hair while matching the color of your eyes or shade of your skin. The only problem is that highlights need maintenance and retouching every 3-6 months due to your hair roots growing and your hair care regiment. Since hair highlights can cost quite a few bucks every time you go to a salon for maintenance, it might be worthwhile and cost effective to learn how you can extend and maintain the longevity of your hair highlights.
- Use a home remedy. If it has been just a few weeks since you got your highlights, you will want to lengthen its life span before it fades completely. A good home remedy to make your highlights last longer is through a mixture of honey and lemon juice. Mix 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice together. Every time after you shampoo your hair, apply the concoction onto your hair and let it sit for 15 minutes. Make sure each strand is covered with the solution. Wash it off after 15 minutes with warm water and continue on with your drying and styling. Do this every time you shampoo and it should increase the longevity of your highlights.
- Use a color-friendly shampoo. Beauty supply stores carry a wide range of shampoo brands designed for colored hair. These shampoos are made specifically to enhance the color of your hair. Some of the regular shampoos usually contain chemicals that weaken colored hair. To make your color stay longer, use a color-friendly shampoo.
- Condition your hair regularly. Using a good conditioner suited for your lifestyle and hair needs is vital to keep your hair color and highlights longer and healthier. Conditioning your hair will provide the nutrients to make it moist and healthy. Dry and damaged hair can make your highlights weaker thus, making it fade even more.
- Choose the right color. Most people do not have time to go for a hair highlight touch up every 3-6 months. If this is the case with you, choose a highlight color closer to the natural color of your hair. This will make the highlights appear fresh even if the roots start growing. With this trick, you can lengthen the 3-6 months to 4-8 months before the much needed maintenance and touch up.
- Avoid the sun. Extended exposure to the sun can weaken and fade your hair color and highlights. Try to avoid direct exposure. If necessary, use an umbrella when you are walking outdoors.
- Avoid chlorine. Chlorine is a bad chemical for colored hair. Like the sun, this can greatly damage hair color. Avoid immersing in water with high chlorine content. This will mean that swimming pools will be off limits for your hair.
These are some of the tips and tricks that most beauty experts have recommended to enhance and make your highlights last longer. There are other factors such as pollution and chemicals that can add to hair color damage. Consult a hair specialist if you want to know more.