You can find many aftershave astringents and tonics in the grocery store or pharmacy. From designer brands to big manufacturers, your aftershave options are too many to mention. But did you know that it is easy to make one that costs less and is made from all natural ingredients? All natural and herbal aftershaves are a pleasant break from the ones made with chemicals. Try these different aftershave recipes.
Herbal Aftershave 1
- 2 cups of Witch Hazel - available in pharmacies as well as natural health store; used in different herbal remedies
- Sprig of fresh mint
- Sprig of fresh rosemary
- One cinnamon stick
- Strips of orange peel
- Small bottle of tincture of benzoin - naturally preserves the aftershave; available at health stores or online (Zenith Supplies or Bruce Medical)
- Dark colored glass jar or bottle with cover
You can find the herbs a Farmer's markets, groceries, garden stores, health food stores, organic stores as well as your neighbor's garden. For bulk orders, check out: Mountain Rose Herbs. Cinnamon sticks are available at your grocery store.
- Place 2 cups of Witch Hazel in the glass bottle.
- Add the mint, rosemary, cinnamon stick, and orange peel to the bottle.
- Add a few drops of the tincture of benzoin.
- Cover the bottle tightly with the lid.
- Store the mixture in a cool, dark place (a cabinet or closet or in a paper bag).
- Shake the bottle every other day for the next two weeks.
- Use after two weeks.
Herbal Aftershave 2
- ¼ cup Witch Hazel
- ½ cup distilled water
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of dried herbs - lavender, rosemary, chamomile
- Optional: eucalyptus oil, cinnamon, clove or sage
- Glass bottle with lid
- Place all the ingredients in a glass jar and cover tightly.
- Steep the mixture for two weeks in a cool dark place.
- Shake the mixture every so often.
- Strain the herbs after two weeks before using the aftershave.
Apple Cider Vinegar Aftershave
This is an inexpensive but effective aftershave using apple cider vinegar.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Glass bottle with lid
- Place 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in a glass bottle.
- Add a cup of water.
- Close the lid and shake well.
- Splash the aftershave on your face right after shaving!
Alcohol Based Aftershave
- Rubbing alcohol
- Dried lavender
- Ground cloves
- Dried rosemary
- Glass jar with cover
- Place 2 cups of rubbing alcohol in a jar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of glycerin, one tablespoon of dried lavender and one teaspoon each of ground cloves and dried rosemary.
- Cover the jar and shake well.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator. Keep this there for 3 to four days, shaking occasionally.
- Strain the liquid before use.
- Store the aftershave in the refrigerator. Keeps for up to 2 months.
There are other options for commercially prepared aftershaves. You don't have to go for branded ones. A cheaper but equally effective alternative is a homemade aftershave using natural ingredients. By using different herbs or essential oils, you can create different aftershaves according to your preference.