Cologne is a scented liquid made of alcohol and different essential oils. Dated back to the 18th century, the fragrance was first made in Koln, a German city. Cologne is the French and English name for Koln, thus naming the scented liquid as cologne. Cologne was first used as toilette water. Nowadays, cologne is widely used by men not only to smell good and feel fresh but also to attract women through the fragrance. As Bill Maher said in a commercial of a new product, “a new cologne is coming out. It is for cowboys, and it is made from cow manure. That way the women will be on you like flies!” suggesting that the fragrance makes a difference in a man’s way of attracting women.
Branded colognes being endorsed by high profile celebrities are very expensive because of their names. Whether it is commercially made with a popular brand or homemade cologne, it could have the same fragrance because it uses the same ingredients. If you are planning to give your man your favorite scent and would prefer not to spend as much, just make your own cologne. Here is how it is made.
- Prepare what you need—concentrate of essential oils, 100 percent proof vodka or brandy, distilled or spring water and bottle.
- For a sample fragrance, take 2 drops of lavender oil, 4 drops of carnation oil, 3 drops of juniper oil, 2 drops of jasmine oil, 3 drops of ylang-ylang.
- Add the essential oils to 2½ ounce vodka. Stir slowly but long enough to disperse the oils. Let this mixture stand for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours, add 2 tablespoon of distilled water, for a thinner fragrance, add more water. Stir slowly and let this mixture stand for another 48 hours. Stick to this number of hours because if you increase the curing period, it would no longer be a cologne but a perfume. If the formula seems too strong, add more water to dilute it.
- Once the cologne matures or cures, pour it through a coffee filter into your bottle. This will filter your cologne from impurities or sediments. You now have your own signature cologne.
- Other formula that you could try—2 drops of patchouli, 2 drops of lavender, 3 drops of ylang-ylang and a drop of jasmine. You can make your formula by experimenting, but this would mean budget since essential oils are expensive.
The cologne or perfume making industry started way back the ancient civilizations of Mesopotamia and Egypt. Romans and Persians followed suit and make good about it to perfect the craft. It was only during the Renaissance period that the industry made it big in Europe. During this period, only wealthy people could afford to buy the product because of its pricey nature. Their purpose in putting cologne was to hide their unpleasant body odor due to poor hygiene during those days.
To make your own cologne, you must know how to differentiate it from perfume. Cologne is basically a sort of diluted perfume, which was allowed to mature or cure in lesser time. It contains 2.5% concentration of essential oils while perfume contains 15%.