Earrings are a great way to draw the eyes to your face. Among the many types of earrings, the easiest to decorate are the post earrings, which have a length of wire where you can arrange various bead designs. Instead of purchasing the post earrings, you can make your own. Here’s how.
- Purchase the base posts and backs. Decide on the type of metals that will be used for the base posts and backs. Generally, you can settle for inexpensive metals that are readily available in most jewelry and crafts shops. These, however, will need to be replaced if you have sensitive ear lobes that get allergies when in contact with the cheaper materials which tend to corrode after some time. If this is the case, purchase silver posts and backs which are hypoallergenic but still relatively inexpensive. If you have more money to spare, you can also purchase gold posts.
- Add in studs. To add the stud, you will need to sand off the bottom of the post, which is usually very pointy. Once the pointy end has been removed, it will be easier for you to use glue to glue on the stud on the end of the pin. There are also some end pieces that you can glue onto the tip of the post, which will give you a larger surface area where you can attach larger stones and jewels.
- Add in beads. The studs will actually be enough to stand alone as a post earring. However, you can decorate your post earrings more if you will add more jewelry and beads along the length of the post itself. You can do this by sliding beads into place. It is best to arrange the beads on the table first, so that you will have an idea of the pattern that will come out from the combination of beads that you have. If you have not yet purchased the beads, you can use the online bead boards where you can arrange beads and then purchase the beads that you have used up.
- Bend the edge. Once the beads are in place, you can lock off the post earrings by using needle nose pliers to create a 45 degree bend on the tip of the post earrings.
- Adding sections. The first few attempts at making post earrings will serve as your practice. If you do not like the design, you can always take the beads apart and use them for a new project. As you get more experience, you can make more complex post earrings that make use of several posts. Remove the edges from the post and use these as ordinary wires. Make loops using the needle nose pliers and attach these at the bottom of the main post. This will give you a two pronged earring that will give you more room to add beads.
Accessories do not have to cost you money and should neither be too difficult to make. With these steps, getting post earrings that are customized according to your taste and your style is easy.