Fashion is like art, you should know how to combine colors and make them look appealing to your audience. Knowing the right colors to complement your skin, your style, and the event will certainly add an “oomph” to your personality. You definitely do not want to look disoriented, do you? Matching yellow hues with baby blue and light pink shades would make you look like an oversized marshmallow – a total fashion blunder. But with these fashion tips, you'll be sure to pull off great color combinations. Here's how.
- A primer in mixing and matching colors in fashion (and even in your home) is to know the color wheel. This will give you an idea which colors complement or contrast with each other. Also, your eyes will tell you if some colors are a little bit out of place, such as if you pair a neon pink top with neon green pants. Shocking combination, isn’t it?
- The basic knowledge about mixing and matching colors for apparels is that black, white, and gray go with everything. They are what we call neutral. If you like to experiment with psychedelic prints, try out this combination first. It is safe since mixing the three would just give you the classic look. But like I have said, they go with any color, so you can pair white or black with yellow, red, blue, brown, or purple. For gray colors, you can pair them with blue, pink, or beige. The list is actually endless. However, it also depends on the package that you want. If you prefer something light to the eyes, pick pastel colors (i.e., white + pink/beige/yellow).
- If you want light colors versus dark ones, you can have the following combinations: black + white/canary yellow/lavender/olive green/flesh; royal blue + white, pink, beige; red + white/yellow. Now if you want to be more daring and try matching strong acid colors, try doing it so that the result would seem like a three-toned dress. For example, you can wear a fuchsia shift dress with an acid green corset. That’s very popular during the spring and summer seasons. You can also put a no-nonsense look to a blue plaid dress if you layer it with a gray slouchy cardigan, and polish the look with a white fedora hat with a blue ribbon around it, and black men’s oxfords.
- On the other hand, corporate outfits are more formal in style and in color. Let’s say you have brown slacks. Make a classy getup by pairing them with a brown or gray jacket, then make the look snappy by complementing your jacket with a brown/gray belt or sash. For a more casual look, pair the slacks with a white ruffled blouse.
- For outings or just a day in the mall, try adding sophistication to beige belted shorts by matching it with a printed silk lantern sleeve blouse. The colors that make the blouse sexy yet classy are shades of lavender, purple, pink, tan, and beige. The colors just seem to complement each other – a perfect wear for the summer season.
Now you can do clothing color coordination. You can create great combinations with these fashion tips. Whenever you are going out, try out different clothes first and see if they look good in the mirror. For sure, a part of you will know if something does not look quite right. Browse some fashion magazines and gather tips on color blocking. And before you experiment on a combination, ask for a friend’s comments so that you will know whether the colors you matched look right.