Canvas is a durable and plain woven fabric used for different kinds of products. Examples of these include tents, tarpaulins and bags. It is also a popular medium for paintings and art works. In the early days, canvas was made from the plant called hemp. Modern canvas is made from cotton. There are two types of woven canvas: the plain canvas and duck canvas. A plain canvas is canvas with a relatively loose weave, while a duck canvas is more tightly woven. Canvas is a popular choice for oil paintings. It is usually stretched in a wooden frame and is coated by gesso, a powdered form of the mineral calcium carbonate.
Aside from being used as the primary painting surface, canvas is also used in fashion to create bags. There is a wide selection of canvas bags available. You can choose from canvas backpacks, canvas luggage or even canvas totes. Canvas bags are also called cotton bags. You can either buy a ready made canvas bag or you can make one on your own. You can buy canvas fabric in bulk, if you are a designer and would like to experiment with making these popular bags. However, if you just want one bag, it is better to buy one which is already made. Canvas bags are durable and don't cost too much. You can even personalize them through painting.
How to paint your canvas bag
- The first step is to purchase the materials that you will need. Select the canvas bag that you will use. You can find a wide selection of these bags at craft stores or even at local retail shops. Canvas bags come in different shapes and styles. It is up to you, whether you want to buy a duffle bag, a tote bag or just a simple shoulder bag. You will also need fabric paints, a paint brush and wax paper.
- When everything is ready, you can now begin your design project.
- The next thing to do is to decide what design you would like to have on your bag. You can check the internet for inspiration; you can choose from a wide variety of designs. You could also just set your design down on the bag freehand and be creative.
- Once you have selected your design, the next thing to do is to put wax paper inside the canvas bag. Putting down wax paper will prevent the paint from leaking through to the other side of the bag. Make sure that your work surface and the floor below are protected or covered before you proceed.
- Now is the time to paint. Use the paint brush to paint your canvas bag, or you can use other items like your hand or large wall stencils. Don't use too much water - just enough to keep the paint liquid enough that it's easy to use. You're not working with watercolors here!
- When you are finished painting the bag, set your bag aside or hang it to let it dry. Once it is completely dry, you can add accessories like beads, pearls or even drawstrings.
Painting a canvas bag is easy. You can even design canvas bags and give them as gifts to your friends. All you need are the right materials and some imagination.