Rings remain the same size, but your finger certainly doesn't! Often, when you wear a ring constantly for a long time and then need to remove it one day, you find that the task is quite difficult, not to mention, painful! Listed below are some methods you can use to remove a ring that's stuck on your finger.
Cold water method:
- To reduce the swollen finger, dip your hand in ice cold water for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Apply soap to the ring and the full length of your ring finger.
- Now keep twisting your ring as you try to move it down towards your knuckle.
- You will have to apply some force to get the ring over your first knuckle, do not tug, but twist it!
- If you are still unable to remove the ring that's stuck on your finger, then visit your doctor to get it removed.
- Apply any hand lotion or oil to the ring and the full length of your ring finger (wipe dry).
- Keep twisting your ring as you try to move it towards your knuckle.
- If it doesn't work, follow step 5 as above.
Dental floss method:
- Try slipping one end of dental floss string under your ring.
- Wrap the dental floss around your finger till your reach the first knuckle.
- Ensure you do not tie the dental floss too tight as this can cause pain or turn your finger blue!
- Now start unwinding the dental floss, starting at the bottom of your ring finger.
- While you unwind you will see your ring move up, slowly twist the ring and try to remove it off your finger.
- After you are done removing the ring from your finger, clean the area where the ring was initially stuck; tend to any injuries.
- If your finger is swollen due to some injury, it is advisable to immediately remove any rings you are wearing, as this may stop the blood flow and cause more damage to your finger.
- In such an instance, do not put the ring back on your finger until you have the ring resized and/or the swelling on your finger has reduced!
- It is also advisable to do regular checks of your fingers to pick changes that occur with time and body composition (loosing or gaining weight with age).
- Any jeweler will be able to help you with a set of sizing rings.
In worst conditions, a jeweler or a doctor will advise you to have the ring cut off! But before you take such a drastic step, try out any of the methods discussed here and you may come out of it with both your ring and finger unscathed!