The process of having great toenails starts with the removal of your toenail cuticles. Whether you have it done at the spa or just at home, the feeling it brings you is quite comforting. But without the proper tools and strict ways in removing your toenail cuticles you could end up with a not-so-appreciable pedicure. It is indeed necessary to maintain healthy toenails not just to have a neat pedicure but also to get rid of possible infections. Removing cuticles from toenails can be done in few easy steps. Here’s how.
- Prepare the things you’ll need. Purchase a good cuticle remover product in a nail cosmetics shop. You might also need to buy a nail polish remover in case you have previously pedicured your toenails. You also have to prepare cotton balls, nail cutter, nail file, orange stick, cuticle oil, and nail polish. Place warm water in a basin to serve as your footbath.
- Remove previously applied nail polish using nail polish remover. Dip the cotton balls onto the nail polish remover until half wet. Gently rub the cotton ball with the nail polish remover on every toenail. Make sure to have your toenails cleaned before you proceed to the next step.
- Get your nail cutter and start trimming your nails. Toenails are ideally trimmed in a straight manner. Trimming your toenails straight across will help you avoid hangnails, also known as agnail, which are small detached strips of skin separating from your cuticle.
- Use a nail file to smoothen the edges of your toenails. Make sure to file the edges of your toenails in just one direction. It is more effective to use metal nail files for your toenails.
- Brush your toenails using the nailbrush to clean them from the buildup acquired in filing the rough edges.
- Soak your feet in a basin of warm water for about 10 to 15 minutes. This will you soften your toenail cuticle. Add a pinch of rock salt may on the warm water to efficiently soften not only your toenail cuticles but also the calluses on the bottom of your feet. A few drops of essential oils body wash can add a more soothing effect on your feet.
- Dry your feet with the use of a clean towel. Be sure to remove all excess water on your toenails so that the cuticle remover can go through the cuticles and then be removed easily.
- Apply cuticle remover to your toenails and rub down on every toenail area. You may use your fingers in applying the product on your toenails.
- Use an orange stick to push the toenail cuticles toward the nail bed in a firm but gentle manner. Make sure to push back your entire toenail cuticle.
- Trim loosened cuticle and excess skin. Be careful in trimming to avoid tearing of the skin.
- Prepare another basin of warm water and soak your feet to remove any residue of cuticle remover. This is to ensure that the nail polish will adhere once applied.
- Repeat the same steps above for the other foot.
After removing cuticles from toenails, you must maintain healthy toenail cuticles. Do not forget to disinfect your pedicure implements to avoid infection in future use.