You bought the perfect little black dress. You agonized for hours over how to do your hair and which lipstick shade to wear. Now it's time for the last step to complete your perfectly put together look: a beautifully manicured set of fingernails. Don't have time to run to the nearest salon for a professional manicure? Don't worry. It's easy to do it yourself. Here is how to shape your nails so that they are great looking in a short amount of time:
- First, wash any excess debris from underneath and around your nails. Also, make sure all the instruments you are using are clean and sanitized. Don't share nail clippers, emery boards, or any other nail tools with anyone else. That is an easy way to spread the germs that will lead to a nasty infection.
- Next, trim your nails straight across so that the nails on each finger are the same length. Don't try to shape them at this point. It's also best to use a smaller set of nail clippers. Leave the larger set you have for your toenails.
- To achieve a more elegant, refined look, you probably want to go with a square shape for your nails. This shape will also help you avoid snagging your nails on your dress. To achieve this, grab your emery board and start filing your nails carefully into a straight line across the entire tip. The sides should be rounded. It's also a good idea to file your nails in one direction, and not back and forth, because that will cause your nails to chip and split.
- The next step is to buff your nails to give them some shine. Buffing also helps stimulate circulation underneath your nails, which will make them grow even faster.
- At this point, if you have time, you may choose to paint your nails. If so, the best way to make your color last is to apply a bottom coat, two coats of color, and a top coat.
There you have it. Congratulations. You just saved yourself about thirty minutes and $20 by doing your nails at home. Have fun, and show off your work.