Lavish bags and shoes are usually made of patent leather. This type of material will look good when it is bright and shiny. However, because of various elements that we encounter every day, like dirt and water, patent leather can easily dry and crack. This will make your patent leather look old and unattractive. This is why you need to constantly clean and shine your patent leather. Fortunately, the following steps will teach you how to shine and care for your patent leather.
- Remove all dirt, grime and dust from the leather. The first step in cleaning your patent leather is to remove all the dirt, grime and dust from it. Just simply use a wet cloth and wipe it on the surface of your patent leather. A wet cloth will help you remove dirt that has accumulated on the surface of the leather. Don't be afraid to put a little moisture on your patent leather, you'll be treating it later anyway.
- Set up your cleaning solution. Although most people don't believe in it, a mixture of vinegar and water is actually a good cleaning solution. It allows you to remove stains from your leather. To do this, simply dampen a small cloth with the solution you prepared. Wipe it on your leather until you see that the stain and other residues are removed. Let the solution seep in the leather and let it set.
- Wipe off the cleaning solution. After a couple of minutes, wipe off the solution by using a cloth dampened with water. Once you think the solution is removed, use a dry cloth and wipe the leather dry.
- Shine your patent leather. You can use beeswax or petroleum jelly to shine your patent leather. Put beeswax or petroleum jelly on a clean rag. Apply it onto the surface of the patent leather. Use a firm circular motion when applying the beeswax or petroleum jelly. This will make sure that the shiner will really work into the leather. Once you think that the leather has been well lubricated, let the lubricant set. Wait for about an hour then proceed to the next step.
- Buff up your patent leather. After allowing the lubricant to set, get another clean cloth. Wipe it onto the leather and start polishing it. You can also use a polishing brush or sponge. Keep on wiping until you see the leather shine.
- Properly store your patent leather. Proper storing is also important in maintaining the quality of your patent leather. To do this, simply cover your patent leather in a dust cover. Make sure you place it in a safe place. You should also make sure that no two patent leather items should touch each other. This might cause scratches and scuffs on your leather.
These are the steps you should follow if you want to maintain the beauty and shine of your patent leather. You may also use olive oil when shining your patent leather. This is one effective alternative in shining patent leathers. Just simply apply the olive oil on a small and clean cloth and spread it carefully. Keep applying the olive oil until you see the leather shine. Afterwards, buff your patent leather. If none of these things works, you might want to get help from a leather treatment professional.