Life begins at 40, so they say. And yet while people look forward to spending life at 40 and beyond, there is apprehension as to how one can maintain a youthful look despite the years. Women especially, dread the lines on their faces, white streaks on their hair and decrease in the amount of collagen and elastin in their skin that give them a youthful look. Alas, life after 40 is a milestone but the big question as to how to stay young in this stage of one's life is a big concern. If you want to stay young after 40, here are tips that may help you:
- Take care of your crowning glory. Ask your hair stylist to give you a haircut that will make you look years younger. A good hair style should follow the shape of your face. Color it with darker tint if it is starting to show graying signs. However avoid highlights and eccentric hair colors, as you will only look ridiculous. Leave trendy hair colors with the younger generation. Remember that you are 40, not 14. You just want to look young, but not too young that you will look like a teenager. Maintain your hair style by regularly visiting your beauty salon for retouching.
- Give your skin that youthful glow by exposing yourself to morning sunshine. However do not over-tan, as too much ultra violet radiation from the sun is dangerous. Sweat up too by engaging in sports and outdoor games. Apply moisturizers and sunscreen liberally every day especially when going under the sun. Exfoliate your skin with exfoliating soaps and scrub. Use facial mask to remove the dirt and grime from your face and do not forget to wash your face before going to bed at night.
- Maintain a good posture. A lot of mature men and women tend to stoop as they age. Do not allow yourself to bend, as it will make you look older. Stooping is not good for the functioning of your internal organs too. So straighten your back and walk gracefully for a youthful aura.
- Eat healthy foods in right amounts. Certain foods are known to help counter the aging process in the body. Oats, berries, nuts, beans, fruits and vegetables have been certified by health professionals as aids to keep skin younger and softer. They also prevent age-related ailments that may debilitate or cause you to be less mobile.
- Drink lots of water. Eight glasses of water a day will help maximize the functioning of your body organs and systems. Water is also a natural moisturizer. It replenishes lost fluids in the body thereby hydrating your whole system as well as your skin.
- Exercise. Engage in sports. Take a walk. Run. Stretch your muscles and bones to keep them tighter and stronger even as you go beyond 40 or 50.
- Engage in activities that interest you. Put up charitable projects, maintain a garden, join civic organizations or teach in Sunday schools. To be active and useful is another secret for staying young.
You can stay young after 40 by following the above mentioned tips. Be reminded however that to really stay young, you need to feel young. You also have to have inner peace and joy in you. Stay happy all the time. Be at peace with everyone. Make friends, not enemies.