Hello all you curly girls who have spent tons of time and money on trying (but not really succeeding) to tame your frizzy locks. I'm here to help you!
Ditch the brushes. Every curly girl should throw away any brushes and invest in a wide-toothed comb. Brushes will rip out your hair.
Brush your hair in the shower. After you shampoo your hair, apply your conditioner and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. With the conditioner still in you hair, comb through your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Don't comb you hair at all when you get out unless you need to put it in a ponytail.
Scrunch hair dry. Never, ever towel-dry your hair, as this will result in tons of frizz. Towel drying is taking your towel and rubbing your hair dry. Instead, take a soft towel (or paper towel if your hair is very frizzy) and scrunch the hair from the ends to the roots. Try to not rub your hair together. Make sure your hair is parted the way you want it, so you don't have to comb.
Use the right products. Curly girls like me know that we have to use a lot of products to get our hair the way we want it. You should start with a good shampoo and conditioner. (I have a list of products below.) You should always use a leave in conditioner to prevent frizz and tangles. Then, use a mousse to hold it all in. I also use a little gel on my ends to prevent dryness. Use a finishing mist or spray to prevent frizz.
Never touch your hair while it dries. This adds frizz (and we don't want that). Instead, keeps your hands away and resist touching your hair. I also recommend that you not blow dry your hair because it adds too much frizz on top of volume. Now, I know you're saying, "Don't people want volume these days?" I am here to tell you that curly hair already has its own volume like no other. If you blow dry your hair (even with a diffuser) you will end up with a fluffy, curly afro.
Here are a few of my favorite products.
- Head and Shoulders (because I have dandruff unless I use it)
- Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Shampoo
- Sunsilk Captivating Curls Conditioner
- Tresemme Flawless Curls Conditioner
- Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Conditioner
- Charles Worthington Leave-in Conditioner
- Tresemme Curl Hydration Leave-in Conditioner
- Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse
- Schwarzkopf Got2B Smoothing Luxury Mousse
- Enjoy any quick-setting styling gel
- Tresemme Curl Locking Styling Spray
- Proclaim Olive Spray-on Glosser