Hair extension is a procedure done wherein real or synthetic hair is added to create length and volume to one's own hair, creating a completely different look altogether. This has been quite a popular option to hairstyling all around the world for some time now. For people on the move and with so little time on their hands, hair extensions may be the answer to the pursuit of the perfect hairstyle. This is also an ideal avenue for those who are not blessed with glorious tresses.
Real or synthetic hair is attached by several methods: Permanent (reusable extensions for a prolonged time), semi-permanent (used constantly for 3-4 months), and temporary (clipped on extensions).
A professional hairstylist or you yourself can do hair extensions. Attachments are accomplished either by the pinched braid (sewn in or woven), or by the fusion method, which uses glue, silicon, keratin or other fusing elements. The care and styling of hair extensions can be quite effortless and once gotten used to, a breeze. Done properly, hair extensions have a longer life span and you're on your way to a flawless hairstyle.
Like one's own hair, extensions must be kept clean to look good. Whether real or synthetic, it is necessary to keep it free from dirt and other pollutants. Here are some tips on how to maintain long hair extensions and keep it looking new:
- Prior to washing hair, make sure to comb it properly by gently, removing all tangles and snarls. A wide toothed comb is advisable. For clipped- on hair, remove each piece from the head, washing them separately. For permanent hair extensions, shampoo gently along with natural hair and rinse in the same manner.
- Wash hair with cool water only, neither hot nor cold. Use only a small amount of shampoo and conditioner, preferably products for color treated hair. Conditioning extensions are necessary as they have a tendency to dry out. However, conditioning should only be used at the ends in small amounts, to avoid greasiness.
- Comb damp hair again to remove tangles and snarls.
- To dry clip-on extensions, hang pieces on a hanger to air dry or use a blow dryer for quicker results.
Here is how to style long hair extensions:
- For clipped-in extensions, fasten on firmly but make sure that it is not too tight to avoid harming the scalp and natural hair.
- Style extensions as in styling natural hair. Apply a styling product such as mousse or a texturizer on damp hair.
- Blow dry along with natural hair, making sure that clip-on extensions remain fastened properly.
- Do not use curling or flattening irons on wet hair. These gadgets are ideal for real hair extensions and are only used when hair is dry to avoid damaging extensions.
- There are a number of styling products that may be used to achieve the perfect style. A small dab of styling wax goes a long way in taming fly away hair. Simply put a small amount on your hands, and then apply on hair distributing it evenly and scrunch till you come up with the effect you are looking for. Hair sprays are available too and may be used on hair extensions as well as natural hair.
- Long hair extensions can be braided, pony-tailed, fixed in a bun, or simply hang loose for a carefree look.
Looking and feeling good does not have to be such a chore. All it takes is a little patience and creativity. Short hair may be easy to maintain but sometimes, there are limits to what we can do with it. Having long hair extensions opens limitless possibilities in enhancing one's total appearance.