Styling the hair can be a very challenging task, especially if you have dry, frizzy, unruly hair that sticks out in every direction that you do not want it to be. The first resort is to blow dry the hair to style it, especially for bob cut hair, to give it some volume. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not, and you need to resort to other styling techniques without using the blow dryer.
- You can opt to air dry your hair by using the highest speed on your desk fan (blow driers usually give off warm air that makes the hair even dryer). When the hair is about to dry completely, comb it back and apply some styling gel or mousse, and then set your hair to the style you prefer. Use rollers or round hair brushes to curl your hair a bit.
- Another option is to use leave on hair moisturizers especially if all you plan to do is pull up your hair into a pony tail. Sometimes, even this hair style (if you can call it one) can be annoying when your baby hair starts sticking out. Apply leave on moisturizers on top of your head to tame unruly baby hair. Do not apply too much as it will cause your hair to look wet and it may attract dirt.
- To maintain smooth hair that is easy to style and to remove the frizz, every time you shampoo, use a conditioner separately. There are two-in-one shampoos but most times the moisturizing and smoothing ingredients are not enough for your unruly hair. Apply the conditioner to your hair, not the roots at the scalp. Leave the conditioned hair for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly with water.
- Once a week or twice a month, treat your hair with gentle hair products such as a hair spa or products for hot oil without using a steamer. After shampooing, apply hair spa or hot oil products, as you would a conditioner, and then wrap your hair with a towel or a shower cap. Leave it that way for around 15 to 20 minutes, and then remove the towel or shower cap and rinse your hair with water. You may have some falling hair afterwards but this is normal. This kind of treatment will help moisturize your hair and flatten it down. The baby hair will not stick out as bad as it would if you have not treated your hair regularly.
- Some traditional countries believe that brushing the hair from the scalp to the tips helps smooth the hair. This is true because brushing the scalp and the hair stimulates the production of natural oils in the scalp, and when you brush the hair, the natural oil is spread throughout the length of the hair. This also helps in the healthy circulation of blood in the scalp, producing healthier and smoother hair.
- Have a regular haircut to remove dry hair at the tips. Dry hair = unruly hair. So get rid of it.