Scarves are a popular women’s accessory because of its versatility, affordability and practicality. These pieces of cloth have the ability to transform a look and give it just enough of a fashionable edge. Typically made of silk, rayon and rayon, scarves have a special appeal that brings an air of glamour and sophistication to the wearer.
It’s great to cover bad hair days, to protect your hair from the elements, when you want to hide your bald head or if you just want to add a little pow to your look. Although usually worn as a neck piece, scarves can also be worn on the head. Here’s how it’s done.
- Choose your scarf. Scarves come in either solid bold colors or fun prints. It’s up to you what suits your mood. It doesn’t matter if you get a square or rectangular shaped piece, either one will work well as long as it is big enough to cover your head.
- Try the Kelly Scarf. This method of tying the scarf around the head is named after the famous American actress turned Princess of Monaco Grace Kelly. Get your square scarf and fold it into a triangle. Next, place the scarf on your head, with the triangle points towards the back of your head. The two end points should be on either side of your face. Wrap the two ends around your neck and knot at the back. This particular look evokes images of old Hollywood glamour. Add a pair of dark sunglasses and red lipstick and you complete the look!
- The Crown Technique is another great option. Place a long rectangular scarf on your head but make one end much longer than the other. Gather the ends of the scarf towards the back of your nape. Pull the longer end of the scarf toward the top of your head so that it forms a headband, twisting the fabric as your go along. When you reach the other end, tie it together with the shorter end of the fabric. This look is great especially for women with curly hair.
- Use the scarf as a hair accessory to a ponytail. This is a great option for younger girls and if you have a small scarf.
- Tie the scarf on your hair and use it as a bun cover. To do this, tie your hair in a low ponytail. Next, get a handkerchief sized scarf and tie it once around the ponytail elastic band. Tuck your hair in the loose fabric and with your hair wrapped in the fabric, twist the hair wrapped in the scarf to create a bun. Secure the bun by tying the ends of the scarf.
Viola! There you have it! Probably the most common look using scarves is tying it over the forehead like a bandana, but this look evokes more of a pirate or biker chick look so you may want to pass that style up. Try any of these styles and see what works for you.