Red light therapy or light therapy is a form of treatment that improves the skin’s texture in the quickest, safest and most natural way. It consists of exposure to daylight or particular wavelengths of light, including fluorescent lamps, lasers, and dichroic lamps, using a light box, for a certain amount of time. It is an effective cure for acne and helps in reducing lines and wrinkles that are visible signs of aging. It works by stimulating collagen which plays a vital role in keeping the skin supple and elastic. As the aging process begins, collagen is greatly depleted from the skin and this is what light therapy aims to replenish. It also increases circulation allowing the skin to build new capillaries. Because of the nutrients these capillaries carry, damaged cells are replaced by new ones and the skin is rejuvenated.
Red light therapy can be also used for other purposes. The following are a few ways that could help you fully utilize this particular treatment:
- It is effective in healing skin damaged from too much exposure to the sun.
- Because it aids in increasing the flow of blood in the body, a great number of diseases caused by poor circulation is diminished greatly.
- By stimulating collagen, skin remains supple, ultimately eliminating unsightly stretch marks. It facilitates wound healing and diminishes scarring. It restores skin moisture.
- Research shows that light therapy is an effective treatment for depression and certain psychiatric disorders which include bipolar depression and postpartum depression. It has been studied that people who are not getting enough exposure to daylight face a greater risk of falling into melancholia. By using red light therapy, they get that much needed light which is very important in recovering from this disorder. It has fewer side effects than regular medication but is equally potent.
- It is used for easing tremors in patients suffering Parkinson’s disease. Nervous facial tics are also significantly lessened when using this particular kind of therapy.
- It relieves joint and muscle pains brought about by arthritis, tendinitis, etc., and is a good alternative to taking medications. Moving the light up and down in affected areas of the body allows the blood vessels to relax and blood to circulate freely which reduces pain to a great extent. It is also an effective cure for headaches.
- It clears out clogged pores and kills acne-producing bacteria. Eczema, psoriasis and other skin disorders like blemishes and freckles can also be treated with red light therapy.
More and more people are resorting to light therapy as an alternative treatment to various ailments. It is a non-invasive procedure, painless, safe, and with fewer, minor side effects. A great number of them have reported positive results after undergoing this treatment. Although you may purchase your own light box for personal use at home, you must remember that Red light therapy is still a medical treatment and must be done under the supervision of a medical professional. Consult with your doctor and find out what particular treatment is best suited for your condition.