Suspenders are a thing of the past. They have been around for decades and saw a "golden age" of popularity during the 1980's. But even though they are no longer as popular as they used to be, they are still worn by many people with their business suits. You might think that you could wear it with your own business suit. If so, read on to find out how you can wear those suspenders appropriately with your business suit.
The Right kind of suspenders
- The first thing that you need to do is ensure that your pants come with interior button holes. These interior button holes are sewn on the waistline where the suspenders can be attached. Suspenders come in two forms: those that form the letters X and Y. Whichever you choose, make sure that your button holes goes with the type of suspenders you will get.
- You should wear those ones that you think match your style. You might see some colors as very attractive but will not really look good once you are wearing it, so don't be deceived by the way they look while on those shelves.
- You also have to think about coordination. Your suspenders should complement the colors of your suit, shirt and tie. Find the color that goes with your tie, but not of the same color. The idea is to find the color that complements your tie, but not the same as the color of your tie.
- You may already know this, but just to remind you: never wear a belt when you are wearing suspenders.
How to Wear Suspenders
- In cases where you don't have a pair of pants that has button holes sewn for your suspenders, you can get one of those bachelor buttons. These are just accessories that you can put on your pants to allow you to wear those silk suspenders with your business suit.
- Now that your pants are altered to accommodate the suspenders, you are ready to put on your suspenders. The straps are normally Y-shaped, with the single strap worn at the back. Attach the single strap at the back part of your pants before wearing your pants.
- Once you have your pants on, pull up the suspenders, and then attach the two front straps to the corresponding holes on your pants. Adjust the length of your suspenders to suit your height. You should be comfortable when moving from side to side or even if you try to bend. Make sure not to pull the straps up tightly as this may bring you to a very uncomfortable position. Try to twist, move and bend several times to make sure that your suspenders are strapped comfortably.
As long as you know how to wear those suspenders in style, you will find out that there is more to it than style. The comfort and manly feeling it gives will make you start making them a part of your wardrobe for all seasons.