Picture this. You get up one day and look at yourself in the mirror. To your horror, you suddenly notice a bald spot on your head. You try combing through your hair and you notice your crowning glory dwindling bit by bit, or to put it more correctly, strand by strand. So how you do put an end to this hair loss?
You just have to know the right vitamins and supplements, and where to get them. You can choose to buy vitamins and supplements from health shops, but they can be rather expensive, and their claims of stopping hair loss might not be too accurate, nor reliable. The trick is to get those that have been tried and tested, and if you know anyone who's had this problem before, ask him which of the commercially-sold supplements he used were effective. Make sure the supplements have been approved by a drug regulatory board.
Stopping hair loss does not have to be expensive, though, because most of what you need can be found in the food you eat. Here are some the essential vitamins, which can help prevent hair loss:
- The B Vitamins. The B family is extremely helpful in maintaining the quality of your hair. Biotin, one if its members, can be found in some shampoos, so be on the lookout for this kind of shampoo. Biotin produces keratin, which in turn helps prevent hair loss. Biotin can be found in grains, milk, egg yolk, liver and kidney.
- Niacin, another B vitamin, really helps in hair growth. It can be found in poultry, fish and meat. Other important B vitamins are Vitamin B6, folic acid and Vitamin B-12. Folic acid is particularly known for promoting healthy cell activity. It is abundant in soybeans and nuts.
- Vitamin A. This vitamin, which is an antioxidant, ensures that your hair follicles are healthy and well maintained. It helps produce natural oil in your scalp, thus preventing any dryness. Green and leafy vegetables are excellent sources of Vitamin A. Fatty acids are also good sources, but take them in moderation.
- Vitamin E. This is another effective antioxidant, and it promotes proper blood circulation, as it facilitates the flow of oxygen in and out of your body. In effect, blood vessels in your scalp are also benefited, because they get proper nourishment.
- Vitamin C. Another antioxidant, it promotes vibrant hair. Tomatoes and oranges are good sources of Vitamin C. Vitamin C tablets can also be bought over the counter.
- Other supplements that are helpful include zinc, magnesium and copper.
Be advised that these are just recommended vitamins and supplements. They might not totally prevent hair loss. If you have a serious case of hair loss, then you should try consulting a dermatologist. You can also ask your doctor what particular vitamins and supplements are suited to your body and nutritional make-up.
In all that you do to prevent hair loss, always play on the safe side. Do your research, and don't just take all sorts of vitamins and supplements that you can get your hands on. You might be causing more damage in the end. It's better to be safe than bald - or rather - sorry.