If you are in need of Internal Revenue Service Forms, there are several ways to get them. What works best for getting IRS tax forms will depend on which forms you need and how complex your tax return is. As a general rule, don't wait until the last minute to use any of these methods for getting IRS tax forms. Preprinted copies are usually snatched up by the end of March, and getting onto the IRS website to download can be difficult as the filing deadline gets closer. The following methods of getting your forms are free so try any of these ways without worry:
- Through the mail: You can have federal income tax forms sent to you through the U. S. Postal Service by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676.) This service is available Monday through Friday, from 7am-10pm. Processing and delivery will take approximately 7-15 days. You can also have current year federal income tax forms sent to you by going online to IRS forms and publications and ordering them. If you use this method, you will receive two copies of each form. Packages including both forms and instructions are available for the most commonly used return types.
- Download them: Go to the IRS forms index and scroll through the list of forms and instructions to download and print free printable IRS tax forms. If you are not sure which forms you need, browse through the topical index. No computer and printer at home? Call your local public library and see if they have public access to the Internet and a printer. Most do.
- In person: You can usually find a good supply of the most frequently-used Federal forms at post offices and public libraries. They typically arrive by mid-January and are gone well before the deadline, so don't wait to get your forms even if you don't plan on doing your return right away.
- Automatically: If you mail in your tax return, you will typically be sent the same forms by mail in January of the following year. If you have recently moved, don't count on timely forwarding; choose an alternate method to make sure you get the forms you need.
There are other ways for how to get Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Tax Forms if you want to go high tech, or need several forms and publications for more than one year. You can order the IRS yearly tax package on CD-ROM. There is a $25.00 charge for the CD, and a $5.00 handling fee.
- Online: Go to IRS Tax Products CD and click on "Order now."
- By phone: Call 1-877-CDFORMS (1-877-233-6767) and order the CD package, IRS Publication 1796.
- By mail: Print out the order form from the above site, fill it in and send it to:
National Technical Information Service
5285 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA 22161
- By fax: Print out the order form from the above site, fill it in and fax it to 1-703-605-6900.