Moving to a new home can cost you more that you are willing to spend if you do not plan and make a budget. It is important that you plan before you move so that you won’t have to spend as much. This is something that you have to do, especially if you are moving on your own and your move is not related to your work. You have to carefully plan all your expenses so that moving won’t put a dent on your wallet.
Here are some tips that you can use on how you can budget for your in-state move:
- Record your expenses. Before you make your move, you must already list down the expenses that you will be needing when you move to your new place. This includes the water, cable, Internet, phone, etc. Deal with all these before you move to your new location so that you won’t have to worry about them anymore. Call the companies that will provide you with these services and list down the prices for each utility.
- Moving costs. Make a list of the moving companies in your area and call them all. By doing this, you can compare the prices for the different moving companies and get the services for the cheapest one. You can save a few hundred bucks when you do this. Another thing to check out is if there are any special rates that they offer or if there are any additional costs that you have to pay for. Some of these companies have different rates for weekends and weekdays. Get all the information that you can. It will also be helpful if you go to their official website.
- Other moving expenses. Other things that you have to set a budget for are the other materials that you have bought for moving. This includes boxes and storage bins, packing tape, markers, etc. These materials may not cost much individually but you may be surprised how much you have spent when you add all the prices of these things together.
- Take note of moving mileage. Keep a record of the mileage of your moving. You can use this and file it with the IRS and put it when you fill out your tax form.
- Free help. To lessen your moving expenses, you might want to ask some help from your friends. This can save you a few hundred bucks. Ask your friends to help you move your things and other items if they are not so many. This way, you will also have help in getting your things inside your new place.
These are some of the tips that you can use when you are moving in a new location in-state. It is important that you keep to your budget so that you won’t have to spend a lot of money in moving to your new location. Another thing you can do before you move is to have a garage sale so that you can get rid of all the items that you are not going to use and use the money that you are going to get for moving.