It is best to always be on time when filing income tax returns and payment plans. If you find that you have forgotten to file an income tax return, you have to take care of it immediately so as not to accumulate penalties set by the IRS (Internal Revenue Service). Filing a past due income tax return is simple if you know the steps that you have to follow. If you are planning on filing a past due income tax return and payment plan, follow the simple steps below.
Here are the steps that you have to follow if you need to file a past due income tax return and payment plan:
- Get the necessary forms Secure the forms that you need for filing your taxes. The forms that you may need are Form 1040, Form 1040EZ or Form 1040A. You can download a copy of these forms from the official website of the IRS at irs.gov. You can also secure a copy by visiting your local post office.
- Get necessary documents. Collect all the documents that you need including bank statements, income statements, interest on loans, mortgage, etc. You will also need the W-2 form. If you do not already have these forms, you can get these from your place of employment and the bank. Make photocopies of the documents for your own filing.
- Do your income tax return computations. If you have tax deductions to claim, you can use the amount to pay for your penalties if you have any. You can go to the website of IRS and your state website to help you determine the computations for the past due income taxes that you need to file.
- Complete all the forms. Complete all the forms that you got from the IRS website. For the payment plan, you can secure and fill out Form 9465. This is helpful for those who need financial assistance in the form of an installment plan.
- File your tax returns to the IRS. Once you get all the documents and forms properly answered, file the past due income tax return to the IRS by sending it through mail. Keep copies of your files in a folder so that you can go back and have documents of your previous tax files when you need them.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to file a past due income tax return. If the reason for not being able to file your taxes on time is financial instability, it is better to avail of the installment plan so that you can avoid having penalties that can accumulate over time. To read more about the installment plan, you can visit the official website of the IRS or contact them through email or phone to ask questions.
To avoid this from happening in the future, always try your best to file your taxes on time. You can also work with a tax lawyer to figure out how you can pay your taxes in a timely manner.