Teaching kids how to save is important so that they will learn how to manage their money at a very young age. One of the things that you can do is give your kids a piggy bank. You can even make your own piggy banks at home to recycle plastic bottles. Find out how you can do this project with your kids by following the steps below.
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for this project are a big plastic bottle that is empty, glue, scissors, pink fabric, 5 bottle caps, yarn, paint, paintbrush, permanent marker, construction paper and craft eyes.
- Clean the plastic bottle. Clean the plastic bottle with soap and water. Allow the bottle to air dry completely before starting the project. While waiting for the bottle to dry, place some newspapers on your work area so that clean up will be easier.
- Body of the pig. The water bottle will be the body of the pig. Determine the upper side of the pig so that you can cut a slit to serve as the hole for the piggy bank. If you are doing this with your kids, do not let them do the cutting. Use your scissors or a sharp knife to cut a slit. Get your pink fabric and wrap it around the body of the water bottle. Use glue to attach the fabric to the bottle. Feel for the slot that you cut out earlier and cut the fabric so that it is visible from the outside.
- Attach the feet. Use 4 of the bottle caps as feet for your pig. You can paint them in a different color if you want. Glue them at the bottom of the water bottle so that the piggy bank can stand. Allow the glue to dry completely.
- Attach the nose. The last bottle cap will serve as the nose for your piggy bank. You can draw 2 dots with your permanent marker for the nose. Another alternative is to poke 2 holes for the nose.
- Make the ears. Get pink construction paper and draw an outline of the pig’s ears. Cut out the ears and attach using glue on either side of the head.
- Glue on the eyes. Now you can glue on the eyes of the pig. Use 2 craft eyes and glue them on the face of the pig. Your piggy bank is almost complete. All you need is the tail.
- Make the tail. To make the tail, cut a thin strip of pink construction paper. Use the edge of your scissors and run it on the strip of paper using your finger as a guide. This will curl the paper. Glue the tail of the pig at the base of the water bottle. Now your piggy bank is complete.
These are the easy steps in making your own piggy bank. You can make
different kinds of animals to complete a collection. Teach your kids to
save money using this homemade piggy bank.