How To Move Your Family to the USA

The United States of America is one of those countries where a lot of other people want to work and live. If you are already living and working in the United States and considered a permanent resident, you can move the rest of your family to the country subject to conditions set by the government and its bureau of immigration. Here are some tips on how to move your family to the USA.

  1. You can petition immediate members (husband or wife, your unmarried child under 21 and your unmarried son/daughter who is over 21) of your family who are living in another country to join you in the US by applying with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (NCIS).
  2. The first thing you need to do is fill up Form I-130 and include the proof of your US citizenship, evidence that proves your relationship to the person/s you want to bring to the US such as birth certificate, divorce decree, marriage certificate as well as legal name changes. Visas for immediate relatives are available all the time. You have to fill up a form for each member of the family. The complete list of required documents can be found in the NCIS website.
  3. Submit the completed and signed form/s at the designated Lockbox facility in Chicago. You can get the complete list and the assigned Lockbox facility at the NCIS website. You can include your application fee with the application. The money order or the check should be addressed to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  4. Upon receipt of your petition application, it will be checked for correctness and completeness, including all the supporting documents that you have submitted. The NCIS has the right to reject your application. If accepted, you will be notified by mail. You may also be contacted if the agency needs more supporting documents.
  5. An approved petition application will be sent to the NVC or the National Visa Center for processing of documents. If all of the required documents are present, the NVC will schedule your relatives for interview. You will be contacted by the center when the interview date is near and send you a bill for the Affidavit of Support and Immigrant Visa Processing fees.
  6. As a sponsor, you will be required to submit an affidavit of support for those immediate family members who will not be able to support themselves. You need to accomplish the appropriate affidavit of support form and provide concrete evidence that you gainfully employed and have sufficient income and financial resources including statement from bank officer/s where you have deposits, detailing when your account was opened, amount deposited for one year and current balance; official statement from your employer detailing the nature of your position and employment and your current salary and latest income tax return and other sources of income if you are self-employed. Remember to sign the form in your full name.
  7. After you have received notice from the NVC to start the applicant document processing, the applicant will be sent instructions on getting a physical examination from a designated medical facility, complete the DS-230 which is the Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration and prepare the original, certified true copies, and photocopies of all required documents that they will bring to the interview together with a valid passport, the appointment letter from the NVC.
  8. Your immediate family members need to make a personal appearance during the interview at the embassy or consular office in the country where they are presently residing. If the interview results are satisfactory, a visa can be issued after a few hours.

There are a few steps to follow to be able to apply and bring your immediate family members to the US. The documentation, the affidavits and referrals are what make this a long process. But once all your documents are in order, it will only be a short wait before your immediate family can join you in the US.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: