Personal checks can be a great way to pay for large purchases and keep track of your finances. Although the books usually last a long time, if you’re running low on personal checks, here’s how to order more:
- Ask your bank for standard personal checks. When you notice you’re running low, contact your bank. They can provide you with standard checks. Although these do not come in personalized designs, they are usually cheaper than fancier checks. Some banks offer them for free; if not, the price can be deducted directly out of your checking account. Your bank may also offer designer checks; they should be the first place to ask about them, but more than likely your bank will only offer limited choices for personal checks.
- Seek out a company offering personal checks. There are hundreds of different businesses on the internet offering personalized checks. Before choosing a company, check with your bank; some banks only accept personal check designs from a selected group of companies.
- Choose your design and preferences. Each company offers a different variety of check designs with a background that you choose according to your personality, interests, or hobbies. Nearly anything can be printed on the check, including animals, sports team logos, or scenic landscapes. Sometimes, multiple designs can be printed within the same checkbook. You will also need to decide whether you’d like the checks to come with copies between each check so you can more easily track your expenses and remember which checks you have written.
- Fill out the order form. To order personal checks, you’ll need to fill out a form with your name, address, bank account number, and bank routing number. This information can be found on your banking paperwork or directly on your previous personal checks. Because this form includes personal information, be sure you are dealing with a reputable company before sending this information. The company will also need to know the starting number, which should be 1 more than the number printed on the last check you used. If you’re not sure what this should be, call your bank so you can be sure to give them the right number.
- Pay for the checks. Usually, you’ll pay for these checks online using a credit or debit card. They typically arrive within one to three weeks, although the processing time may vary depending on the company providing the checks.
- Use the checks. When they arrive, use the personal checks just like the ones you received directly from your bank.
These personal checks can bring a smile to your face every time you use them. It’s easy to order personal checks in a wide variety of designed and styles.