Do you want to create a romantic evening for your special someone? Try creating a four-star romantic dinner right in your own home!
- Set the mood. Surround the dining area with scented candles, dim the lights, and scatter rose petals on the table. Keep it tasteful, and coordinated. One way to do this is by optimizing simplicity. Decorate with simple colors, utensils, and dinnerware. Even plain colored plates can be dressed up with food and garnish. You want to avoid looking tacky in any way.
- Print a menu in 'sexy' font (e.g. Monotype Corsiva), and slip it into a place where your loved one is bound to find it at work such as a briefcase. If you prefer it to be a surprise, just place a menu card on the table. Don't forget to add "1000 kisses" to the Dessert section!
- Dress appropriately for cooking - "appropriate" meaning your best underwear, and an apron... or just the apron.
- Keep utensil use to a minimum so you can proceed to more exciting activities after dinner rather than spending hours cleaning up. The fool-proof recipes below should help minimize dishwashing.
- Give yourself at least two hours to cook and get dressed (only if you'd rather not stay in your apron).
Three course meals are the simplest, yet are lavish enough if you use the richest ingredients and correct techniques. The menu below is one of the easiest to follow, and the results are delicious. One thing to note before you start: ancient people once found seafood, chocolate, and spicy foods to be aphrodisiacs, so make the most of it!
...with Spicy Marinara dip
...stuffed with mushrooms
Vanilla bean Gelato
...with Passion fruit coulis&wafer
- 8 fresh prawns
- 1 cup Marinara sauce
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
- Cilantro to garnish
- First, peel the prawn skins leaving the last segment and tail (mainly for presentation).
- Boil water in a medium-sized pot/steamer. Place prawns in the steamer and steam for three minutes or less until the prawns are just-cooked to maintain flavor. Place cooked prawns in a bowl of ice water for 15 seconds. Remove, and keep in the refrigerator to cool.
- In a clean bowl, mix Marinara sauce with Tabasco sauce. Carefully scoop mixture into two Martini glasses until half full.
- Place four prawns around the rim of each glass. And finally, garnish with remaining stalks of celery and cilantro.
- 2 slices chicken breast
- ½ cup button mushrooms
- ½ onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tsp dried thyme
Preheat oven 350 degrees F
- Rub chicken breasts with salt, then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onions and mushrooms with butter. Add thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Gently slice breasts lengthwise in half, and stuff with sautéed ingredients. Add half of the rosemary sprigs into the stuffing.
- Bake in a glass dish for 30 minutes.
- Remove rosemary sprigs from chicken before serving.
- Garnish plate with remaining rosemary sprigs.
- 4 scoops vanilla bean gelato
- 2 thin Belgium wafer cookies
- 1 Passion fruit
- 1 tsp sugar
- On a cutting board, slice the passion fruit in two and scoop out the pulp into a bowl. It should be runny with visible seeds. Do not throw the seeds away; as they are the key ingredients of the fruit. Add sugar to the pulp and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop the gelato and place onto plates. Then gently spoon the passion fruit coulis over the gelato.
- Add a final touch by sticking a thin Belgium wafer cookie onto the gelato.
Experiment with different meals and settings and you're sure to create the perfect romantic evening for yourself and your partner!