Seville or Bitter Orange Marmalade
The fruit MUST soak well and then be simmered very gently so that it really IS soft before adding sugar.
1 lb. Oranges
Juice of 1 large lemon
3 Pints of water
3 lb. sugar
1) Cut or mince the oranges finely, removing the pips.
2) Soak the peel and pulp overnight in the water, together with the pips, which should be tied up carefully in a piece of muslin.
3) After soaking, put the fruit, water and pips in a covered pan and simmer slowly until the peel is quite soft. This should take approximately 1.5 hours.
4) Take out the bag of pips, stir in sugar and lemon juice.
5) Bring marmalade to the boil and boil rapidly in an uncovered pan until setting point is reached. This will take aprroximately 20 minutes.
Yield: 5 lb. marmalade.