A fruit platter with a center heart is an attractive way to display cut fruit. Great for parties or other gatherings, this eye-pleasing attraction is much fancier than the traditional fruit bowl. Here’s how to assemble a fruit platter with a heart: Ingredients and supplies: Strawberries (approx. 1 pound) Assorted whole fruit Round Tray Sharp knife
- Slice the strawberries. This fruit platter uses a heart-shaped group of strawberries in the center. The first step is to slice the strawberries. You can leave them whole if they are small, or slice large strawberries into several pieces. For a fancy touch, fan the strawberries by only cutting partway through, leaving the slices connected at the top of each strawberry. Then push the slices apart, forming a fan shape.
- Form a heart. Place the strawberries in the center of the tray in a heart shape. Depending on the number of strawberries you are using, the heart may not stay perfectly formed until you place the other fruit around it. If you have extra strawberries, you can use them to form a ring on the rim of the platter. Try to make the amount of strawberries in the heart proportionate to the amount of the other fruits you will be using.
- Slice the remaining fruit. You can use nearly any fruit for this tray, including melons, pineapple, mango, apples, oranges, and peaches. All of these fruits will provide a nice contrast against the bright red strawberry heart. If it will be sitting for a few hours before serving, be aware that some fruits, such as apples and bananas, may begin to discolor. Slice the fruits you have chosen; try to slice the fruit into similarly sized and shaped pieces.
- Assemble the platter. Around the strawberry heart, place the sliced fruit in sections in a fan shape out from the center of the tray. For example, alternate a section of sliced pineapple with one of sliced mango. Once the fruit is assembled to prop up the sides of the strawberry heart, make sure it is perfectly heart-shaped.
- Enjoy! This professional-looking fruit tray is the perfect treat for any occasion. Although it looks complicated, it is actually very easy to arrange. Sliced fresh fruit is very healthy and goes great with a wide variety of meals. It can even be served as a dessert. This delicious and decorative fruit tray is not only perfect for Valentine’s Day, but also birthdays, anniversaries, and even backyard barbecues or other parties. If you choose the right fruits, it can even be assembled the night before.